• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current

Our little buddy "FENDER"!

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Whatta face :D Hope you're buddy didn't earn his name from personal experience......LOL

I'd forgotten about this thread. Thanks for bringing it back up. Here's one I took a couple weeks ago showing our diligent team on watch. :D  Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Great pics!  I'll have to find one of our chocolate lab.  Had to send her to heaven last week after 16 1/2 years. (Hind legs couldn't handle no more) Was a bit too old for a while for the boat, but she used to have no problem swimming to shore to do her thing and then come back.

Keep the pics coming!

:)>-

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited December 2013

"Whatta face :D Hope you're buddy didn't earn his name from personal experience......LOL"

My 10 yr old daughter came up with his name.

FENDER is appropriate though - we all enjoy boats, cars & music. All things with Fender's.

Mattie

Sorry about your Lab DI. After that long it's like loosing a family member. We raised nearly 30 yellow labs for the local seeing eye program over the years and when they'd retire a breeder from the program we'd keep them out at the farm to enjoy being off duty forever. It was a great time for the dogs and us. Nothing beats watching a work dog who's spent their whole life as a guide dog do the transition to never wearing a leash or being put in a kennel (I live for that day :D  ). There was a lot of swimming in the pond, rolling in the pasture and chasing rabbit trails......and lots of sleeping.   Sounds more like what I want if/when I retire. :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Dream - sorry to hear if your loss, I'll bet she had the best life a dog could ask for, and 16+ years for a lab is really rare and special. Our guy had a total hip replacement a year ago and is back to running, jumping, and being a crazy guy. So, I'd love to get another 12 years of that.

Tiki - Great post. We see the leader dogs all the time here in Rochester Hills, MI and I'm always so amazed how smart & well behaved they are. Makes our chocolate lab look like a maniac LOL. Its good to hear they still have a lot of "puppy" left, even after a life of service & responsibility.

They truly are mans best friend. image
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Thanks guys!

Tiki, sure sounds like you give them the retirement they much deserve!  That's got to be both rewarding and tough at the same time.  Sure makes you a better person for doing something like that! =D>

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We raised a leader dog (Choc Lab - still have no idea how he 'got a person' he was a big dog and lot-o-energy) and had a breeder too (yellow lab) with 3 set of puppies, all but 3 made it through (20 dogs) which is rare.  After raising the Lab my wife couln't do it anymore (heartbreak) even though she grew up breeding huskies for sled running.  Heck of a cause. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • She CaptainShe Captain Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited January 2014

Our Sadie girl enjoying Lexington, Mi. Margarita Fest.

Post edited by She Captain on
    edited June 2014

My Corgi was a champ too. I have one of him dressed up all patriotic on the boat for the 4th of July but couldn't find it. I'll stick it in here when I do. He was my favorite dog ever, Kai. What a handsome dude with that lady killer smile.

He was built like an armadillo but passed prematurely last year along with our other middle aged dog a few months later. Both had similar kidney failure type symptoms. After doing some research we highly suspect it was from a flea treatment recommended by our vet. Trifexis (sp?) was the flea/tick treatment we suspect had undisclosed side effects. Read the link and do a Google search for yourself if you use it.

((LINK))

Hope that you don't use it on your animals and if you do you, look into the side effects or look for alternatives. Just sayin'.

I hope that's not too serious but I consider you all friends and I'd hope somebody would mention it if they had experienced our situation. Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    edited June 2014

Happy upcoming 4th of July everyone. Here's the Rinker dog shot... As the head of ranch security Kai was a reluctant mariner. Maybe it was the tiny legs and armadillo body. :D He was a great ranch dog in every other way. Being as tough as a tank he resented being called a royal queens dog. I really miss him.

Here's our 1 year old Lab's first time "jumping" into the water the first time. I put it in quotes because our chocolate lab was getting tired of waiting and basically bowled him into the water. Our yellow lab was clawing at the water more than swimming, look at the bubble trail he left!

http://youtu.be/f82EtjLtefw

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin

Awesome vid..............

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife had me play her that video a bunch of times, great video!

2008 330EC
    edited July 2014
    RinkerYan said:

Joe, how do they get back in the boat?

Well before this past week or so I would usually just grab them by the handle on the life jacket and hoist them back onto the swim platform. They are really good about coming back and putting their front paws on the platform and waiting for us to pull them up. If I'm in the water swimming with them I'll just grab their hind legs/belly and push them up.

Now, that wasnt a HUGE deal with one, but now that we have 2 of the monsters I needed to get something so they could get back in the boat themselves.

I bit the bullet and got the SLM-12 from Water Adventure Gear. Its not cheap, but so far I love it. It only took half a dozen times for the dogs to use it instead of relying on us, and now they can jump off the boat and swim as much as they want, regardless if I feel like hoisting them up.

httpgetwagcomwp-contentthemesblankslateimageshome_page_bgjpg

http751038377wp-contentthemesblankslateimagesSLM-12MountedonFoldingLadderJPG

And its really funny they picked the 276 for their main picture, I was like it was meant to be! I'll have some pics and video of it in action soon.

Yeah its definitely not the smallest of items, but its really high quality and made in the USA. Surprisingly it (barely) fits under the port side seat, so its not in the way at all.

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Our 115lb chocolate lab, Denali.  Very happy my Rinker has central vac.
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

You wouldn't believe it but he is skinny.  Just a big tall lab with a 50lb head.  He is 10 now and can still pull my son through the water with ease.  Big strong animal.

Finally got some video of our guys using the new ladder we got for them. Soon enough we'll be able to let them swim around without the life jackets and we can just chill and not worry about them not being able to get back on the boat.

It was a little wavy out that day, and the up & down motion makes it a little harder for them to line up on the ladder. I still have to swap the bow ladder to the swim platform, as its a 4-step and will mount better with the dog ladder.

http://youtu.be/GJwD6SHmuDE

http://youtu.be/z4GYTyEKSf0

http://youtu.be/ybtp58NmPC4

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great videos!

2008 330EC

Cool video's those dogs really love the water.........

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • seacupsseacups Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited July 2014

Here's Carrie & Nemo our Cavalier King Charles Spaniels keeping watch over our 320 in East Tawas Michigan, July 2014.

RinkerYan said:
    Im glad God made Labbies

Same here!

raybo3 said:

Cool video's those dogs really love the water.........

Yeah they have a friggin panic attack if we are on the boat anchored and they haven't gone swimming yet. Haha They jump off and swim until they are so exhausted they can barely breath. Then take a 20 min nap and start over. LOL

• l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

These are my co-captains.....Always good to have two sets of eyes.

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

This is my girl friend....the only one the admiral will let me have.

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

Hey Len nice pictures........