Options

Where should I be shopping for new batteries?

Need to replace my batteries.  I'd like two 24s for starters, CCA 1,000.  And two 27s for house, deep cycle CCA 800.  That's what was suggested to me, anyway,  but feel free to suggest otherwise.  Would prefer to not buy at West Marine but can't seem to find any other place that carries a good selection of marine batteries with the specs I listed above.  Boat is a '08 320.  Thanks much.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deka makes good marine batteries. Watch the type (gel, lead-acid) with regards to your charger. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    Check the local Walmart.  If they have what you need, their prices are usually hard to beat.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    All my boat batteries are from Westmarine and they are excellent. My starting battery is five years old and still going strong. I'm not sure who makes them. I've never paid full retail, I always wait for the sale prices which are pretty competitive.

On land I just put an AGM Bosch battery in my wife's minivan. The previous 3-year flooded battery from O'Reilly auto parts lasted, you guessed it, 3 years.

Andy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I'd get 4 series 31 AGMs. You can use series 31 for starting and house - so you have one battery chemistry for your charger to deal with which is better. They will have over 1000MCA and they will be far superior - in every way - to flooded. If you want the most amazing batteries out there get thin plate AGMs. Why, they don't cost much more that regular series 31 AGMs and  they charge at 300% of their amp hours which means when you run them down you can charge them extremely fast ( little down time and far less gas running your engines when on the hook) and they can be run down to 80% discharge around 400 times or more. I have 5 series 31 AGMs now and that are worth every penny. I don't have to frig around turning down fridges when we are cruising and can run all kinds of stuff all the time. When these are done I'll get the thin plate version. The prices will vary for these, just like any battery, (you'll get what you pay for ) keep an eye on  MCA, amp hours, charging acceptance rate and discharge cycles to compare apples to apples. Do some research and you'll be far happier. If you are replacing all of them then now IMO is the time to get it right. Google absorbed glass mat batteries and compare the brands. On my 2013 EC 310 I used West marine brand. On my 2014 EC 360 I used Penn-Deka. there are a number of good manufacturers - as I said - just make sure you are comparing the same numbers. BTW - there are lots of inexpensive batteries out there - but they're just that - inexpensive batteries.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

I think before we go too far, you should tell us how you use your boat.  If you typically only anchor for the day and a night here and there over the weekend, then go for a marine battery from Walmart (I've used Walmart for many, many years with great success).  If you are going to do a lot of anchoring, then look into AGMs.  I'm guessing your charger won't work with AGMs, so it may not be worth the money to change.  I will say my next time around I will look into the thing plate AGMs.  I've already splurged and have the best charger out there, now I may go for the batteries as well.  We'll see, cause my Walmart ones have always lasted 5 years with lots of anchoring on them.

I'd say either way, definitely go with at a minimum of 29 size for house.  I used to have a 310 and that is what I had.  As far as starters, the 24s should be fine.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @DI. If that's IF you will be anchoring a lot it's pretty hard to beat AGMs as they last so long and re-charge so fast. I was buying 5 new batteries and got a decent price so I went with AGMs. Next time for me it will be thin plate as they have now dropped in price to where they are not much more that regular AGMs. Another thing I like about the AGMs is that I have two fridges and the Admiral does not have to dial them down if we are just cruising along for a few days. I think even Sam's club stocks AGMs now. They are popping-up all over the place in the last few years. DI is right, do your needs homework.
  • Options
    walleyewalleye Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Thanks all. Dream, you are correct about my charger. It only charges lead acid batteries. And I only anchor out for the day and a night here or there sparingly so I don't think I need to change  charger and upgrade to AGMs. If I have two 24s (starter) and go with two 29s (house) will they charge OK together or will there be an imbalance due to type size difference? 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sams Club had Deka batteries under the Duracell name. That is where I got mine. I would go with Group 31 batteries for the house if you can fit them.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious if any of you guys put your batteries on trickle charge durning the off season? I use a dual bank trickle charger for my two batteries.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know where I store my boat they do not. They just take the cables off the terminals. However if you can bring them inside on a trickle charge its probably better for the battery.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

I used to remove my batteries, but then my boats started getting too many batteries.  I then just disconnected them, but the last 6 or 7 or 8 years (getting too old to remember exactly) I've just been leaving them connected with my charger on all winter.  Never had any issues.

Walleye, size 29 or 31 batteries will work fine with starter 24s on the same charger.  You'll be very happy going up in size with house and should be fine without AGMs for your use.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express