Options

Isinglass Question

redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

So, first year for this boat.  Installed the camper for the first time for the off season.  The isinglass is foggy.  I have read some posts about polishing and such to restore the view.  Here is my question.  When the canvas is in fine condition and the isinglass needs updated, do you get this replaced or rebuilt or do you just replace it all?

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can sometimes stretch another season or so by using polishes. Fact is it only temporary fix. You can get just the eisenglass replaced. How good the canvas/zippers/stitching is drives the replacement decision. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^ and also the cost.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    Yes I had my isinglass replaced, two years ago, in addition to a couple of door zippers.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how long does it last before it gets to this condition? I rarely put mine on....
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ras, if not using your canvas its life also depends on where and how it was stored. The clear windows vinyl/isinglass/strataglass do not like to be stored in contact with each other or in a hot or sunny place. the canvass does not like damp or direct sunlight - common sense stuff. From my experience - when on boats it's the UVA/UVB that kills the tops and "windows".
  • Options
    hmmm.... right now I just lay them flat under the mid ship berth...think I used them for one week on vacation and that was it! I did make sure they were dry before I stored them.....
  • Options
    Maybe put an old towel or piece of cloth between the windows so they aren't in direct contact with each other. Other guys have posted detailed ideas of how they store them which I agree with. My biggest concern is that the plastic windows don't stay in contact with each other as this can make them stick to each other and discolor.
  • Options
    I need a bigger boat to store all this crap!
  • Options
    Someone had a good idea, regarding canvas/window storage. It might have been LaRea, who rolled-up their cabvass that had window sections in it with cloths in between. It was a awhile back and I can't remember who posted that idea.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yes, good memory. I bought pieces of flexible plastic 4" drain pipe, wrapped them in cotton cloth, and wrapped the canvas around that.  The large diameter prevents creases in the windows.  I had my canvas guy make storage bags for me. 

I must have posted it on the old RBOC.  Can't find it here.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once it's foggy, the polish will only make it 30% better. Forget the idea of it going away completely, unless it really is just a superficial deposit.  If it's foggy, most of the time, the material is cooked from the UV.  Places on the issinglass that collects water are more prone to early failure. I heard it's because the water acts like a magnifying glass, intesifying the UV in a particular area.

I replaced my issinglass. The job was fine. But it cost me 2 times more than just buying a whole new piece (which I found out after meeting TJ on this forum). The labor involved in cutting out the stitching to remove old pieces, and custumizing the cut to fit exactly into the old canvas, it's a real deal breaker, and it just makes more sense to buy a new one.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

thanks for all of the feedback.  this forum is great.  have a great holiday

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

Foam swim noodles can also be used to wrap them around.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoid terry cloth, the pattern in the weave can transfer to warm/hot isinglass. 

Isinglass is just really clear PVC that has really poor UV resistance. Strataglas is much better and you can get it thinner so it rolls, not as tight as isinglass though. My strataglas looks almost new after 5+ years. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    270FVFamily270FVFamily Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Our camper came with our boat when we bought it 2 years ago, don't know how old it is. Since this was our first boat I had no idea how valuable the camper would be but I wouldn't have a cruiser without it now.  Didn't know they would fog over either though, ours seem to still be in great shape although I am starting to notice tiny pinholes in the canvas top but still doesn't leak any.  I've been rolling them up and storing them under the berth during season and take them home to keep in our dry basement in the winter. 

B) 2004 270 Fiesta Vee - Bull Shoals Lake, AR - 350 Mag Bravo 3

Named her "FAMILY THERAPY"