Options

Control From Home

redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
So, I own an AV company and we also install security systems.  I am considering installing a security panel along with various sensors to monitor battery voltage, water in any of the bilge's, intrusion and temperature.  should be pretty easy and can monitor any of it on my smart phone via gsm communication.  What I would really like to do is be able to control my air conditioning.  Anyone know of any means to control the passport iq systems?  I would think there would be some way to trigger with a dry contact closure.  Monitoring the temperature and having the ability to turn on the heat should the temperature drop would be very convenient.  Also, cool the cabin down during the summer on the way to the boat.  Oh yea......
2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    You could probably turn it on/off with a remote-controlled circuit breaker, but anything beyond that would probably require some industrial-strength hacking.

Sounds like a fun project.  Details please!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @redlightening, give Dometic a call at their HQ in Florida (I have) ask to speak with a technical representative "up the food chain". One time I got the v.p. of technical engineering, he was amazing. I bet they would be really interested in talking with you about your idea and maybe helpful with suggestions. If you come-up with a new patent - don't forget us small guys when you hit the big time!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I just want one of those mini giraffe's.

thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a shot.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to replace the board and control panel on my A/C last season.  You might be able to trigger the system on and off from the control board on the A/C unit.  Might want to have an HVAC guy look at it.  Setting the temp would be another story.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Yea you would think that passport control would be nothing more than a glorified thermostat.
    i also would like to be able to set a low temp point when in heat mode below 65 for cold weather, just to keep it warm enough to not freeze.  I ordered a remote temp sensor.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just have my control to 'hold temp'. Goes from A/C to heat as needed. Leave it on all the time. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

That would be fine.  Just think lowering the temp in the winter to maybe 50 would be a good idea.  System would run less.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    As long as you aren't relying on marina electricity to protect your boat from freezing ... that's a risk I wouldn't recommend taking.

BTW if you have a camera that can see the HVAC control panel, you can monitor temperature (while the HVAC is on, that is).
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    So I certainly would be interested in how you plan on monitoring your boat via your smartphone. Some thing that I would be very interested in doing.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I agree, this would be amazing.  I am trying to figure out a way to have a camera on the boat, was thinking deer camera...keep us posted please, great idea!
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    So I plan to install a security panel with a cell communicator.  Key fobs for arming and disarming. Very small form factor.  Same principal as a home security system.  Water sensors, temp sensors, ac power loss, battery voltage, motion for cabin intrusion are easy.  This can be done wireless or hard wired.  This type of system can also accommodate camera feeds.  Of course this has to run thru a central station same as a a home security system in order to get the smart phone connectivit and there is a monthly cost for that service.

i plan to do it soon. If it all works out as planned and I don't know why it wouldn't, I could send a pre built kit with sensors already programmed for a DIY install to anyone who wanted.  Pretty easy with wireless devices.  It will also send notifications related to low battery on wireless sensors.  Cell service is necessary fo all functionality.  When out of range, system still works, just no communication to central station.  Another feature that might be interesting to some would be geo fencing.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldnt you need a WIFI connection to make everything work? Or if your boat is connected to cable at the marina?
  • Options
    GSM 
    same as most residential and commercial security systems now.
  • Options
    I seem to recall a cell signal blocker so many people have been broke in to. 
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Red, keep us posted on this....I'm very interested. Would certainly love video feeds if anyone enters my boat.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly is doable. I had a neighbour who travelled a lot. he was a single guy. he could monitor AND adjust most aspects of his house from around the world on his lap top.....and that was years ago. not cheap but doable. Raymarine makes an awesome HD video camera that has low light mode vai infrared capability. It is 12v and wifi capable. the only drawback, in my opinion, is that the model I saw was "fixed" in place and could not be swivelled. that said it did have a wide angle view but I would like something I could get as close to 360 degree swivel as possible. it's not cheap either at about $600 but it is HD. Maybe the way to go is to adapt a home system? 
  • Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Sorry, a little late to this party!

Does your gsm provide a wifi connection?  If so, you could consider a Nest home thermostat that is cell phone accessible.

If not, you could put your HVAC on a contactor/relay that is remotely controlled by your security interface.  I assume you've got on output relay you could run it through.  As long as the HVAC will go into it's last mode when powered up without any input, that would be easy...

I work in refrigeration, heavily involved with electronic controls.  Coincidentally, I'm sitting in VA, connected to a site in TX monitoring and adjusting the refrigeration system.  And... I have a co-worker that was the customer service manager at Dometic.  I'll talk to him to help me understand what you guys have.
  • Options
    Redlightning @ Beaver Lake AR...
    It's funny, a small world sometimes...  My nephew is getting married at Devil's Den in a couple months.  I have family in Jasper/Harrison.
  • Options
    I am not sure if the thermostat voltage is 24 or 12 on a boat. I like the Honeywell Wi-Fi stats better than the Nest
  • Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Redlightning - I would check to see if they sell a Bluetooth version of the control.  Most device are blue tooth controlled. I know they sell them for the home temperature controller.  Remember a Wi-Fi connection require a network and IP address control where bluetooth will work directly to a phone app.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Mr. Dometic said they could be 12 or 24- they have both. Not knowing what you've got specifically, he said you should be able to use whatever wifi t'stat to run it as long as your gsm is providing a connection to the internet.  Just swap out the wall mounted t'stat as they aren't anything special.  That's an abbreviated version, of course.  So, for the common man, you could drop a cell hotspot in the boat and be good to go.
  • Options
    No wifi needed.  The panel and devices all communicate on proprietary wireless or zigby / zwave.  GSM is only for communication to smartphone typically thru some companies server (honeywell total connect or alarm.com).
  • Options
    NRath, let me know when you are in town.  I'll Show you around Beaver lake.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    If your marina have wifi it's would be an easy install for a wifi camera. But definitely awesome for the climate control.  I'm a control tech at Johnson controls. Would love to install some metasys 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Love Metasys. 
  • Options
    NRath, let me know when you are in town.  I'll Show you around Beaver lake.
    Kind offer, Thank you!

So, with all this back and forth, what's your HVAC plan?
  • Options
    No solid plan yet for the hvac
  • Options
    270FVFamily270FVFamily Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Nice boat redlightning! I have a 270 at Bull Shoals, the two best lakes around here!  Are you on the Eureka or Fayetteville side?  We haven't been on Beaver yet, went there last year just to look around but didn't have time to grab a rental boat and jump in, lol, but we've heard it is beautifully clean like the Shoals.  We grew up on Table Rock but visited our lake once and never went back!  We got the 270 a couple of summers ago but it was our first boat so had a steep learning curve.  Can't wait for spring, it's almost here!

B) 2004 270 Fiesta Vee - Bull Shoals Lake, AR - 350 Mag Bravo 3

Named her "FAMILY THERAPY" 

• Options
    Thanks.  We are at prarie creek marina just outside of Rogers AR.  West side but not way south by Fayetteville where we live.  Message me if you are over this way this summer.  Come hang out on our boat.
  • Options
    270FVFamily270FVFamily Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Sure thing will do! And we're over at Hwy 125 Marina which is next to the ferry that runs across the lake, during season we are there pretty much every weekend, travel down from Springfield. 

B) 2004 270 Fiesta Vee - Bull Shoals Lake, AR - 350 Mag Bravo 3

Named her "FAMILY THERAPY"