Options

Winter Projects

Hello all! This is my first post on the forum. I must say this is one awesome forum and I have learned so much here. I upgraded from a 96 Larson 250 to a Rinker 280 EC. We love our new boat and the extra space and amenities! I was wanting to work on a few things this winter while she's tucked indoors. 

1. I would love to upgrade to SmartCraft guages. Wanted to see what kind of job this is and if I have someone do it, what kind of charge should I expect to have it done? My speedometer and trim guage currently don't work. I have been using the gps for speed and I'm guessing I have a bad sensor on the lower unit for the trim guage. Wanted to see if anyone has done this and which guages they used. I wanted to be able to keep all my guages looking alike. 

2. The Ritchea compass that's built in the dash is broke. What size compass can I put in its place? Or are those all pretty well standard?

3.  Some of the light bulbs are out in the cockpit lights along the floor. What size bulbs are those? And how do you get the old ones out? 

4. I have the ice maker option in the cockpit, but it does not make ice. The freezer part works and the water line is all hooked up. Is there a water cut off somewhere or something I may be missing?

sorry for so many questions for my first post. Can't wait to get a few things done this winter to be all ready for spring. I appreciate any input anyone has, or other suggestions or upgrades to the 280s!!

thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I paid about $1000 or so for my system guage and then $450 for the multifunction guage all installed. 

The speedo may not be working due to a blocked pick up on the drive.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    As far as the ice maker, there is a little white box in the upper front part when you open the door.  Inside there is all the electronics/mechanics that make the ice maker go.  The problem usually lies within there.  After removing the white cover, you will see a gear that spins (also connected to the ice full lever arm).  The spinning of this lets it go thru the normal cycle of switches adding water, to timer waiting for freeze, to emptying ice.  The problem is probably one of the small micro switches in there.  Just be a bit careful as the power is 'live' in there if you don't turn it off (probably need to have on to cycle and see what's going on).  A multimeter is helpful in this situation.  My buddy had a few issues with his and he just bought that entire box online and replaced.  I've messed with mine a couple times for different reasons and was always able to get it working again.  I've also seen where the water gets frozen in the input and then won't allow water into ice tray.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Welcome!

If you're considering SmartCraft gauges, also take a look at VesselView.  The wiring is not much different, and it has a lot more functionality.  However, the mounting is different so you would need a custom mounting panel.

On the ice maker: I've never seen one with a separate water cutoff valve.  You might have either a blockage in the line or a problem with the control valve.  

To be honest, I mostly use my ice-maker as a freezer to store ice that I bring from home.  (I'm picky about what goes in my drinks!)  On rare occasions, such as when I'm anchored out for multiple days, I'll use the ice-maker to make ice for the cooler.  But if my water supply quit and the freezer still worked, I probably wouldn't spend to fix it.  

Keep the questions coming!  We're here to help.
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for all the input! I'm really liking the idea of the SmartCraft or vessel view upgrades. I know the installation isn't too crazy. But, is the wiring already behind the dash or does it need ran back to the SmartCraft terminator at the engine? It seems that the Lawrence multi function guage just hooks into the "T" on theNMEA that the GPS runs off of. I will have to mess with the ice maker some. Hoping to get some decent weather sometime to try out my new buffer. The wife keeps asking what I wantforchristmas.... I think SmartCraft guages under the tree would look great!! Lol
  • Options
    @LaRea , beautiful boat by the way. Moving up to the 280 was a big jump this year. Hoping to move to a nice big boat like yours one day! I like your profile pic! My brother lives in Leesburg, we love visiting that area! 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Thanks - yours too!  I bet you're happy with all the space and amenities on that 280!

If your boat has digital throttle and shift (DTS), you already have a SmartCraft junction box at the helm.  If not, you'd need to run a cable up from the engine.  The hardest part is figuring out the parts list.  If you don't want to hire a pro, call Mercury and talk to their techs.  Mercury is notoriously bad about publishing info on the web, but I've heard their phone support is good.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I'll second LaRea's comments.  I've connected up about a half dozen vesselviews over the years and each one is a little different.  On my current boat, DTS did make it really simple, so maybe you have that.  If not, running the cables from the engine isn't too bad.  Single engine is even easier because you don't need any junctions.

The compass, they do have different sizes, but I believe there are like 2 different standards.  It's a pretty easy changeout. (just make sure you get one with the correct backlighting)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Ive got the 2007 280 with the single 496 Merc. I don't have the DTS system.. ( I don't believe so, anyhow). I just wasn't sure how tough it was to get the wires up to behind the dash. I dont think it would be all that hard if I could get the wires ran up through. It's definitely a tight fit in the engine compartment for this 6'4" guy! I've found some pretty good deals on the gauges and the vessel view... I wish they would have just made the smartcraft gauges standard since the technology is already there...
  • Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    @ jbschmalz23 I have the same boat,and have been looking at doing the some as what you are thinking about doing .
  • Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    I was going to run a wire snake up to the front from the engine forward.
  • Options
    If you get to it before I do.. Take Pics!! LOL...I noticed under the drivers seat theres a panel to the left that can be unscrewed.. I wasn't sure if that was an access panel or not.. still learning the boat.. just got it in August... wanted to get the biggest boat I could and still stay with single engine and easily trailered. But would love to do a few of these upgrades.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jb. The multi function guage plugs into the back of the system gauge (tach or speed). It basically connects to the bus that pulls info off the engine and uses the parts it needs to display the data. I'm not sure you can get that guage to work without a system gauge.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    One other question I had that I mean to post: does anyone have input on the lento auto glide trim tabs. I just replaced my actuators before I put the boat away, as one was bad. From what I understand it's just replacing the black box and control switch? This forum gives me too many ideas for projects and upgrades!! Lol. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @jbschmalz23, I recommend getting opinions on the auto glide before you replace. I didn't like them, some guys do. I think you can disable the auto feature if you wanted to under certain conditions. I prefer to set the boat's attitude myself and adjust it manually when I deem it needed - just a personal opinion.
    Post edited by Michael T on