Options

Removing Decal Glue on Gelcoat

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
I bumped off part of my Rinker decal.  What do you think best way to get old glue off?  I thought about getting as much off as I can by hand and then buffing rest off.  

Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    De-natured alcohol might be less harsh than lacquer thinner (acetone). I have used both with success. There are also "decal -off" products available on line or at marine stores.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WD-40 works well to get glue off
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I thought about wd40, goo gone and all the other thinners but I worried about them being to harsh.  Maybe I am over thinking it.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acetone also works.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    I use 3M 08984 ...seems to be safe on plastic and removes adhesive well. THey usually use it as a paint prep
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    WD  or acetone works well , but if your not replacing Rinker name as well tape it off.The solvents may grap the foam in the tape and you may be replacing that next season.a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun on low will also help.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Is it hard or soft? If it's soft you can try heating it with a hairdryer and then rubbing it off.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Not sure actually, I think I will go the heat gun route.  Thanks everyone.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @06Rinker270, respectful suggestion with the heat gun - go slowly as the heat will build-up fast. Heat for awhile then try to remove the residue, repeat. I have seen gel coat blister and that's a real mess. If using heat I would be inclined to use a hair dryer rather than a heat gun. BTW I have never had to resort to heat to remove decals, stripes, lettering or boat names. There are a lot of removers that won't harm the finish and won't risk bubbling the gel coat. I'd rather take 15 minutes more and a little "elbow grease" than be looking at a gel coat or fiberglass repair.
  • Options
    Yea I agree MT, I will try removers, shouldnt be a big deal.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    KennuckKennuck Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Ronsonol lighter fluid. Works great doesn't hurt the gelcoat. Don't use acetone that will damage the gelcoat.
  • Options
    Yea I was worried about acetone.  I see the power of that stuff.  I will star with the most simple and move my way up.  The reason for his post was to avoid any damage.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh? Professional gel coat repairers use acetone ALL the time. In fact it even says to use acetone on some gel coat repair kits. I've never heard of acetone being a problem on gel coat. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    KennuckKennuck Member Posts: 8 ✭✭

Gel coat repairers use acetone to soften the gelcoat so the repair will adhere better. Go ahead put some acetone on a rag and wipe your gelcoat down, if it is dark colored gel you will be surprised the color transferred to the rag. Then feel the gelcoat that you just wiped and you will notice it is much softer and can be marked with your finger nail.