Never Wax Your Boat Again

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember all the discussions we have had on the topic of gel coats and waxing our boats and potential alternatives?. I receive Boating Magazine - and - big shout out for it -  man, I really appreciate the articles in it! Anyway, I received my latest issue and tried to post an article in it on here and couldn't BUT I think I found a way for you guys to get it via the internet. I hope this works as I think you might find the article REALLY interesting! The author is a recognized boating author and he's trying the product on HIS own boat!

Here goes: Google the topic Boating Magazine December 3 2015. A page will open-up on your computer. Go to the heading Boating-Official Site Click on it. This should (please) open to the cover of the December 3 2015 issue of Boating Magazine.

Scroll down past the pictures of boats and videos to articles. There (I hope)  you will find the article Never Wax your Boat Again

Many thanks to Boating Magazine for great articles, tips and videos!

Enjoy (I hope)

I just tried it on Google and it worked. I tried it on MSN/Bing and it did not work unless I just typed-in part of the title. I typed-in ONLY Boating Magazine and then the Boating-Official Site came up. So the MSN/Bing search engine works too!

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, a real 2-part paint that can be applied as a DIY over gelcoat.  It's tempting.  I'm already in training, starting to ramp up my upper-body workout in anticipation of spring detailing season.  
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, @LaRea, that's the article from Boating Mazgazine - you snagged a direct link for a faster download! Way to go!
  • GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Very interesting article,if it stands up it will save a lot of elbow grease.
  • jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Interesting.. I have the black hull sides ... just bought a new buffer and pads and some meguires oxidization remover...can't wait to get to my building on a decent day to see how it works...would love to get that nice shine back. Anyone use anything else that seems to work.. I've read some posts on here.. 
  • dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Interesting.. I have the black hull sides ... just bought a new buffer and pads and some meguires oxidization remover...can't wait to get to my building on a decent day to see how it works...would love to get that nice shine back. Anyone use anything else that seems to work.. I've read some posts on here.. 
    Forget all that other nonsense. 3 step process: compound, polish, wax, with a high speed buffer, (not those cheap orbital buffers). Depending on oxidation. You may not need a heavy duty compound, only polish and wax. NO harsh soaps/chemicals during the season! All kinds of products out there, it's going to depend on how oxidized your boat is, there's different abrasive compounds and polish. May not work for everbody, but it works for me, 2005 Rinker:
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather just wrap my boat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wet sanded hull twice, buffed and waxed. Still has some blotchy looking chalk areas. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me to Handy when I did my tan hull...I assume it was just so overwhelming a task I did not do a consistent job as the hull was really in not so good shape. I hope this winter when I go at it again since it's in pretty good shape I will get a more uniform result as I buff it out again...
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dropout - your boat looks fantastic.  Don't change a thing!  

I think painting or wrapping makes more sense the larger the boat is.  Look at the time to wash-compound-polish-wax the topsides:  I could do a 270 in a day, but my 370 takes 2-3 days and a LOT more ibuprofin.  Or I can pay somebody $1200 a year, but that's a lot of gas money. 

So the thought of painting the topsides is very appealing.  No waxing for 10+ years?  And it won't start looking chalky by the end of July every year?  And I could do it myself for $1000?
  • jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    @dropout ...now that's the shine I want. I got the meguires oxidization remover, and their flagship wax. I'll pick up a polish too. Don't mind the pain and elbow grease for a nice shine like that!
    edited December 2015
    @jbschmalz I agree! You may have seen pictures of the black hulls on my Rinker 2011 226XL, Rinker 2013 EC 310 and 2014 Rinker EC 360 from pictures that have been posted from time to time. I use the Meguires Flagship wax in the black bottle. We wash and hand dry the boat. Then we apply the wax and buff that boat by hand. During the 6 months its in the water I wash it with soft water `(portable water softener) or river water. Once, maybe twice in that time I use a very gentle soap like Johnson's no more tears and dry the hull and my black hulls look great. On the white upper deck and non-slip I use purple Power cleaner to get rid of bird and spider poop with a stiff brush. Works great. IMO the secret to a shiny hull is a great wax, some elbow grease and washing with the softest water possible with no soap or a very gentle soap ....or now - maybe a high-tech paint job or 3M covering!
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Meguiars Premium Flagship wax & Meguiars Boat wash has my vote!
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Drifting a little off topic but since we are talking about buffing and waxing...If @TikiHut2 were on here he would post this link that everyone raves about.  One I follow as well.

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/tips-for-a-great-buff-wax.117266/

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and I saw another boat named Tiki Hut!
    Ras, no way!......wait, maybe it is Tiki's boat just hasn't been re-named yet!
  • bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Hey...........Never wax your boat again............sell it!

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

Al , that's too harsh an alternative! LOL
  • pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Interesting article on the sail boat wax job......... 

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

@06Rinker270 - thanks for posting the very informative article on hull restoration. there are several key points that I have always followed to keep the colored hulls that I have had on most of my boats pristine. 1. Don't get behind on keeping your hull clean and waxed. IMO if you are having to use "serious"  cutting compounds, somebody screwed-up. 2. Silicone in your wax/polish is extremely bad. It creates uneven patches of color and is very hard to remove later for a "proper" wax job.