Options

docking in foul weather

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have docked, actually slipped in some pretty foul weather. Fl can really have some storms sneak up on you at the worst times, wind and waves the main concern. I would say where we boat they have been pretty mi imal compareded to what mother nature can do. But, the question in my mind is, how ruff is to ruff to make a docking and what the heck do you do? I have banged up freshly buffed out hull this past year with wind knocking me around which gets me to thinking if conditions had been worse.maybe someone has some stories to share about such situations, what you did and perhaps what you should have done better?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a previous thread started by MT, I'm sure people will add some more stories.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/37648#Comment_37648

2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Preparation is the key.  It's common-sense stuff, but people get into trouble when they forget to do it in advance.  

Before you approach, take down canvas to reduce windage. Pre-set your lines, get the boat hook out, and get fenders ready in case you need them.  Take note of wind direction and current.  Most importantly, have a plan and make sure everybody knows what to do, and what not to do.  

Part of that is:  have good fenders!  Not some crappy half-inflated balloon the size of a loaf of bread, like you'd see on a ski boat -- that's worthless.  Your boat requires big fenders.  Of course, storing them can be a challenge.  I keep my largest fenders deflated, and only inflate them when I need them.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    LaRea is correct, preparation will make most conditions work.  Knowing exactly what you will do before you start docking and have lines ready.  If it is a storm and you can't get there before, it is best to wait it out (unless it will be a long one). I have had to do this many times over the years and it has worked out.  If you can, keep the boat close to shore where the wind is coming from, that will help it be less rough.  I've done both anchoring and not.  I prefer to anchor and let out a lot rhode in a shallower area (less than 10 Ft).  I am fortunate that my home marina is in a very enclosed area.  (actually called a lake cause only two small openings - one 20 Ft wide under a bridge). Conditions are almost always ok to dock and with the lift and guide poles make it easier.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say under really brutal weather make sure you can abort your docking and try again. Second is if it's real bad then dock your boat somewhere else like at the gas dock and wait for it to get better. No one will blame you if it saves a lot of potential damage.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what everyone has stated above. I would stress the big fenders. You can't have enough of them. Storage is always a problem. I keep 6 G-5 size fenders in my storage compartment along with a G-6 and a A-2 buoy ball in my engine room. I only get them out if I really need them.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!