Options

Gelcoat cracks below non skid

I am considering buying a 2001 Rinker 340 on a freshwater lake with about 310 hours on its 2nd owner. Before I drove 575 miles to look at it, I asked about stress cracks and damage and was informed of only a semi circle chip in the cabin entry door. When I arrived, I noted a what appeared to be a 25'+ stress crack on the port side only with some spider cracks below the stress crack line just below the non skid but several inches about the rub rail on an inside radius. There was also a crack in the head/shower liner in an upper corner not far from the exterior damaged area. The broker's own gelcoat expert said the interior crack was a repair with mis-matched gel coat that had cracked again. The exterior appeared to be similar to an impact or flex crack with no specific point of impact visible. All rails are straight. Anyone have a similar issue? My fear is if it is fixed that it may reappear if the hull flexed much. Thanks. Paul

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,572 mod
    If it was an impact heavy enough to crack the shower liner, there could be other hidden damage.  If you are serious about the boat, hire an independent NAMS/SAMS surveyor (NOT one associated with the broker) for a pre-purchase survey.  Then use the survey report to negotiate price.  The survey will cost you a few hundred bucks, but it'll pay for itself in negotiations.

There's a decent list of accredited surveyors here:
    https://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.asp

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea gives you VERY solid advice. I have seen this kind of damage before and it's usually not good.  Boats are like eggs, they can withstand tremendous bumps from the bow and stern but are quite susceptible to damage from the side. I can't tell you how many times I have seen boats in marinas "bounce" off another boat when coming into a slip. As well one serious side impact could cause the damage you talked about. If you really like this boat, I respectfully suggest (and agree with @LaRea) that you get an independent report specifically on this issue and get it in writing from an accredited and bonded surveyor. This has to be disappointing for you - best of luck!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you get your own fibreglass guy to look at it. Guys who are experienced can generally look at damage and tell you how bad it could be. If it's a $5000 repair then you could ask it off the price. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I have dealt with surveyors before. I don't think they can determine damage between the shower liner and hull or under the gel coat. I was looking for 'institutional knowledge' of forum members. Two gel coat experts, both employed by the brokerage gave quotes to the seller that differed widely. The cost of the repair was not an issue as much as will it crack again afterwards. Too many red flags I think. When the 1st gel coat man said things like 'looks like it was an impact' and 'to fix it right'. The 2nd man said it wasn't so bad and he could fix it and match the color without doing the way the 1st expert stated. I think I will pass. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @pault .....obviously disappointing for you but I believe a very wise decision.
  • Options
  • Options
    I do think for them to really know what's going on they would need to chip the gelcoat away and look at the glass underneath. Even if the glass needed to be redone, I don't think that is an issue, other than it will cost $$$.  I've seen guys fix boats with big holes in them.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I would rather fix a sizable hole in a boat that a hull that has been "torqued". Even a great hull like a Rinker is susceptible to having its side hull to deck joints compromised by getting smacked amidship. The glass guy who is considered a God in our area always warns boaters to be very careful when looking at the situation we are talking about. The conventional wisdom is to look at the hull to deck joint from inside the boat as well as the outside. IMO if I wasn't 100% sure, why take a chance. Walk away. In this market there are lots of good solid Rinkers for sale.
  • Options
    Just talked to a BoatUS surveyor who stated the only way to be sure about damage is to have a surveyor inspect with a thermal imaging system which is much more that the appx $700 standard fee. Thanks to all for input.
  • Options
    @pault1216 I agree with him. I think you got good advice. IMO -better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Definitely good advice.  Thermal imaging would be the only way to know.  I know with aircraft, an eddy current system is used (but obviously couldn't be used on fiberglass boats). Good luck and as stated, there are many good boats out there available.  The 340/342 are some great boats and many available.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    Interesting reading. The surveyor I talked to mentioned the imaging expert was in Jacksonville. Probably the same man mentioned in the article.
  • Options
    @aero3113. Great post, very interesting read! There is a surveyor in our area who uses transducer measurements along with the other assessments mentioned in the article. I'm not sure of anyone using thermal analysis, but I can see its appeal!
  • Options
    Yes thermal imaging is another way to do it without having to chip all the gel coat away.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but what is the realistic recourse if internal damage shows up after the fact? End of the day you own a boat with a very big problem. 
  • Options
    I agree rasbury. Thanks. The search continues. -Paul
  • Options
    Paul- I had my boat surveyed before I purchased as I was totally new to these boats plus the bank required it. I'm not sure that I got much out of it other than another set of eyes to "look it over" We hauled out the boat and he inspected the hull for blisters and any obvious damage, but, it there had been any internal damage that might have been covered by a repair, he was quick to state that he could not be responsible unless we started tearing the boat apart to visually inspect stringers etc. I get that....perhaps this type inspection is more suited to larger boats where you can root around better in the structure of the boat. At any rate, there are to many nice boats on the market to choose from without risking or "getting a deal" on one that already has obvious damage on it. After I buffed my boat out, I can see where some possible repair had been made in the front end like he crashed a dock with it- does not seem to be any other damage or problems as a result. To bad there is not a boat fax like a car fax to track these type repairs but it is what it is.

Good luck with your search, this forum is a great place to bounce possible purchases to for advice as I did when I bought mine!
  • Options
    This forum has already been a HUGE help. I was on the old one (former screen name Sea Dumpster) for several years until it apparently shut down. I understand no boat is perfect and there is always risk. I have limited resources (retired) and must search carefully. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Great Paul, good luck to you and hope you land on something that is a great boat for you!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Ahhh I remember Sea Dumpster from the old site. Welcome to the RBOC and good luck with getting a boat.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    I remember SeaDumpster as well!  Welcome back to a new forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options