Options

Generator coolant question on 280EC (Kohler 5E)

So I had the airlock issue that was mentioned in some of the other posts and have been able to get this corrected. 

Anyway, my coolant overflow is a little less than 1/2 full - am I safe to open the cap and add coolant or will this give me the airlock issue again where I need to bleed the air out?  (It is a pain to take the sound proofing structure off to bleed the air)

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    You should be fine.  Also check that the hose in the overflow is on the bottom (so when it cools down it draws it back in). 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    and did you replace the anode or check it along with what ever you were doing to it? Also, if you change the impeller, change the coupler on the back side of the pump housing...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can open the cap, but unless you really low, you will not be able to add coolant. The coolant should be filled to the opening at the heat exchanger, add at the overflow. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    Rasbury, how difficult is the anode to replace?

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy: it is on the bottom of the heat exchanger facing the service door on the sound enclosure. Just unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Mine was gone.....I was shocked! The genny had more hours on it than the engine did when I bought it and probably had never been serviced.....
  • Options
    check that coupler as well...that was an easy maintenance item and when I replaced the impeller and did not replace that, it broke as soon as I fired it up! Thought I had a real big problem...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    hey Ras, exactly where is that coupler.  I bought a couple of them, but when I last replaced the impeller, I kind of looked for it.  I'm assuming after the impeller is out, there is something else beyond that to pull out before you see it (assuming it is connected to the shaft the impeller is on).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Not as all.....you have to pull the pump housing that the impeller is in, couple of bolts as I recall and there you are. The easiest fix I've done for anything yet so far!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    invest in an air-lift tool... I hesitated for years, but finally pulled the trigger and discovered what I had been missing for far too long.