Options

Why do Bravo 3 propellers get that hard coat of scaling?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    To much over thinking. Simply clean the props. Sooooo easy.  No reason to remove. From drives.  Simply clean and rinse.   We acid wash roughly 40 boats a year at $12.50 per foot.  
    I used to acid wash my boat until someone told me about a mixture of blue Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and peroxide. Mix them in equal parts and spray on. The river grime just comes right off. I was very surprised at how well it worked.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg, I like that suggestion. I have some peroxide and blue TB cleaner - I'll try that.... point the drives down and spray some on - don't want to damage those prop shaft seals! 
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Cable Guy Greg, The river scum is far less difficult to remove than what we get out here on Lake Erie. My brother in law lives on the Allegheny and he can use Slimy Grimey and it works like a champ. I use it out here and nothing... I think some waters are a lot harder than others. With that the lime scale builds on the bottom of the boat and then the **** starts to grow on that. We have to use Zing or something similar to get ours clean.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't have Slime I have Lime! I's say LOL but it isn't funny
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'd think the works toilet bowl cleaner should clean the props.  I never had issues with mine on my 310, but again it was lift kept.  I also used muriatic acid mixed half with water.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Heck my props never lost their shine when I put them on my boat lift. Two weeks in a marina will start to change that! :-(
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think the mercathodes attract growth?
  • Options

No, Steve, I think that hard scale comes from electro-deposition from a number of origins: poor shore power in a marina, poor electrical systems in adjacent boats, an owner's boat that does not have galvanic protection or an owner's boat whose cathode system has failed.

I do not think that type of scaling on the props has anything to do with the anodes on the owner's boat because poor anodes result in loss of metal not deposits on the SS props.

As to why Volvo SS props seem to stay much more deposit-free than Mercury props I don't know. I can guess that it might be either a SS composition of the prop that resists deposits better or a better cathode system.

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting if not enlightening to see a comparison of the Volvo vs Mercury alloys used for casting their respective props, but those are likely closely guarded trade secrets?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    Fat chance. Mercury refuses to publish even basic technical information.  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you need is a scrap prop from each, machine off some chips and get it spectrum analyzed. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    That would definitely be interesting!