Options

SHORE POWER

HI new to the group I just got a 1995 fiesta vee 280 it did not come with shore power cords not sure what I need it has 3 plugs on the side I have ac can some one tell what I need this different than my last boat only had one plug

thanks Lou

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you take a picture and post?

Likely 1 plug is for the general power, 1 plug is dedicated for the A/C and the other is not a plug, it is a TV cable connection (some docks have cable TV stations).

The shore power chords are available at places like West Marine, they are normally yellow cables with 3 prongs on a round end, 30 amps. They aren't cheap. 

Take a picture of the plug with the cap off so we can see the pattern.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Welcome aboard.

I have never seen 3 shore power cords on an older Rinker. Usually there are two, one for the A/C and one for the "house" (battery chargers, fridges, ect.). Some of the boaters where I dock at that have the dual cords use a Y cord and then use one shore power cord to the power ped. Some marinas in my area charge per cord and that is their way around it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    SWEETLOU1833SWEETLOU1833 Member Posts: 6
    thanks got it now
  • Options
     Welcome aboard.

I have never seen 3 shore power cords on an older Rinker. Usually there are two, one for the A/C and one for the "house" (battery chargers, fridges, ect.). Some of the boaters where I dock at that have the dual cords use a Y cord and then use one shore power cord to the power ped. Some marinas in my area charge per cord and that is their way around it.

Greg, normally the 3rd is the TV/Telephone dockside jack.  I have one on my 260EC.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    SWEETLOU1833SWEETLOU1833 Member Posts: 6
    with ac are they both 30amp do I need a Y
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sweetlou1833, I use a Y which means I don't have to switch a single cord from one 30 amp receptacle to the other or use two 30 amp cords. In many marinas if you plug two 30 amp cords in you pay a surcharge premium for power, so I plug one 30 amp cord in to the shore power dock pedestal and have a Y at my boat going to both 30 amp inlets. Works great. Marinco makes one and Hubbell used to make one too. There are probably other manufacturers out there . The Ys can go on sale at Defender Marine and some of the other big marine outfitters.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Wye too. Very rarely is everything on with the AC too.
  • Options
    MarkB said:
     Welcome aboard.

Greg, normally the 3rd is the TV/Telephone dockside jack.  I have one on my 260EC.
    I have the same thing on my 280EC. With an older boat you never know what the PO has added.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Oh ok. Yeah that's why I wanted to see a picture.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    On my 2006 270, one shore power inlet is on the port side amidships, and the other on the starboard side toward the stern. Looking at the Marino "Y" adapter it seems too short to connect one cable to both inlets. What am I missing?  Do I need two shore power cables?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could your boat be wired to use either side?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be wired for either, that would be nice!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Most likely you can use either outlet, both should not be needed. On my 2006 342 I have two shorepower inlets on the port side amid ship and two shore power inlets on the starboard side of the transom. In each location one is for shore power and one is for air conditioning. InY them together but they are right next to each other. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Mercury2005, you have a power inlet on each side so that you don't have to have a power cord draped across your boat while at a dock. You make the selection in the cabin as to which port you want to use. You do not need to have both of them plugged in at the same time. The smaller cruisers only need one cord plugged in. The larger cruisers have two cords plugged in and they are located next to each other.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    @Greg, thanks, that makes sense.