Options

Boat Lettering Design/Decal

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Hey guys...I just bought my boat this past July so it still has the previous owners name on it. I already have a name picked out but I want something designed as far as the decal goes. Does anyone have any vendors or places they know of that will take your name and design a decal or lettering for the transom? All I found on the internet is just generic lettering/fonts.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will probably be better off going thru a local sign shop. Fast Signs or Signs by Tomorrow are nation chains that do good work. BoatUS has some decent stuff for an internet service. I used Fast Signs for some custom decal work on my 232 and Signs by Tomorrow for my registration numbers on my 280EC.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to name my boat...original owner never named it.  Isn't it "bad luck" to re name a boat? 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    I have yet to name my boat...original owner never named it.  Isn't it "bad luck" to re name a boat? 
    There is a ceremony that needs done to properly to rename a boat.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LOL yes there is a ceremony
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

Make sure you do the Renaming ceremony

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015

Okay guys I got this covered! This is the REAL DEAL - I witnessed this last summer at a marina. The Admiral of the Captain who had it done to their boat said her husband was "crazy superstitious" so I'm sure he got it right. The Admiral gave me a copy of the ceremony.

Are you ready? There are five distinct phases to this ceremony.

1. Invoking Neptune's permission: "Mighty Neptune, King of all that may be in or on the seas and Mighty Aeolus keeper and guardian of the winds, we request in the name of all who have been aboard this boat in the past and all who may in the future and invoke your favor of these blessings today.

2.Èxpressions of Gratitude: "We offer the Gods of the Sea our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past and request your kind conveyance in the future."

3`The Supplication: "We request that the name of this vessel hitherto known as _________________ be struck and removed from your records."

4. The Re-Dedication: "We re-dedicate this vessel to your domain with the full knowledge that she will be subject, as is fitting, to the immutable laws of the ancient seafaring Gods of wind and sea. I name this boat_______________, may she bring fair winds, safe passages and good fortune to all aboard her."

5. The Libation: "We seal this pact with a libation according to the ancient ritual of the water." .......In modern times the Champagne can be a sparkling wine and it does not have to be smashed on the bow of the boat - BUT - the ENTIRE bottle must be poured over the bow of the boat.Then, all guests must be served a drink (or more) to seal the pact.

Trivia....of course select a name that is easy to use in a VHF emergency where is must be repeated quickly - 3 times...... and don't tempt fate with a name like "Murphy's Law" ....BTW - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and MoonShadow have been used Waaaaaay too many times already.....Tyr to find something original like Tiki Hut or Dream_Inn.

As for me, I don't name my boats. It drives the other boaters nuts. There's far more discussion about my boat than any other boat name in the marina - LOL 

• Options
    Listen to Michael T that’s some real "Shama Lama Ding Dong" stuff
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Hey Lucky, you been talkin' to my Admiral? She calls me ding dong all the time. Not even sure what my real mane is anymore. WOW\!!!!! Lucky, just saw the hat? toque? ....man that would be one h*ll of a rig in any competition!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    MT, be careful with that.  If you don't pick a name, somebody else might!  

A friend of mine refused to name his Cruisers 520.  One night when he wasn't around, his buddies got drunk and picked a name.  They ordered a huge, elaborate set of vinyl graphics, and executed a high-security stealth mission to install them.  

The next time the guy visited his boat, it had a name -- Death Star!  
  • Options
    Geez LaRea, after that "naming", my first call would be to my insurance agent! LOL
  • Options

Michael T, renaming a boat is series business and needs series gear LOL

• Options
    @luckydog - then you're ready brother. You could take that hat on a re-naming tour of marinas and make a fortune!....and you'd still buy a Rinker, right?
  • Options
    Michael T, That’s not fare I just sold mine, but right
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

Oh yeah, been thru many a boating renaming ceremonies.  The best ones go thru many, many bottles of champagne.  I think I went threw almost a dozen!  & yes, a unique name is best.  I'm still waiting to see a boat with the same name (I've seen some close).

Now, for the topic.  I've used BoatUS for 3 boats and have always had good luck.  I've also helped several friends using their graphics as well with great luck.  & if there is every any issue, BoatUS graphics will make sure to correct them free of charge.  To me, you can't beat them.  I've also put them on using both methods (wet and dry), and both work pretty well.  Wet method is best if you are at all unsure where you want to place it.  Allows you to move it a bit if you want, and I think it allows you to not have any bubbles.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to come up with a name...right now I go to a bridge and I'm captain of north bound traffic...yes, the tan one....
  • Options
    BigWeekend88BigWeekend88 Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Hey Guys, 

By trade I sell and service Roland and Mimaki wide format printing equipment. I have several customers in the Pittsburgh area

Heres a few I trust...

-They would all be willing to apply the decal for you, minimal charge- And totally worth it if you want to do it right!)

-I can Assure you they use only the BEST materials and have the BEST RUNNING equptment because they get them from me! (Cast air release vinyl with a quality cast laminate)

Express Print Graphics (Scott Kelly)
    1801 pittsburgh street
    Cheswick PA 15024 
    724-274-7700

The Printing Post (Neil Deluca)
    3458 Babcock Blvd
    Pittsburgh PA 15237
    412-367-7468

Commonwealth Press (Dan Rugh)
    1931 East Carson Street
    Pittsburgh PA 15203
    412-431-4207

Tell 'em Andrew from Grant Graphics sent ya!

• Options
    Wow Andrew, cool job and fantastic info. New forum members bring the coolest new stuff! :-)
  • Options
    Would be nice if I was in the Pittsburgh area lol
  • Options
    I am happy to see that since I live in Pittsburgh!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    BigWeekend88BigWeekend88 Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg I am actually sitting at the Leaf and Bean having a cigar and some coffee as we speak.... Just a quick stop though and then off to my next customer in Indiana PA. I must have saw your screen name when I responded and got confused. (Im new)

Cheers!