Options

possible leak due to old windshield gasket?

After a lot of rain, I get water on the carpet under the starboard v birth cushion. Seems to run down behind the viny and seep under the carpet. I'm not sure if it's a rub rail issue or the windshield gasket which seems to have shrunk by about 2 inches. after a particularly bad storm, even the cabin floor was damp by the bathroom door. Anyone experience similar leaks? Need some recomendations before removing rub rail (I hear it's a real pain). 2003 270 FV

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I was getting water under cushion in v birth seemed as if it may have been leaking from the port window which was under base for my grab rails , to find out where the water was coming from I used hose and soaked around window for a few minutes,started with window because it was lower than rub rail I pulled a bit of vinyl under cushion up an stuffed some paper towel there nothing got wet ,so I moved up to rub rail,still nothing,next I wet around base of grab rail ,that's when I started to notice paper towels getting wet.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    DazeOffDazeOff Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info bv. I'm almost hoping I can work my way with the hose all the way up to the windshield gasket since that would probably be the easiest fix.

Thx again.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also look for missing screws or screws that are nor fully seated and ones not caulked. On many Rinkers there is a plastic insert on the side of the windshield frame that will expose the screws so you can look at them. As well, there should be a drain port at the lower end (stern end) of the windshield frame and often the hull below that drain has a dedicated drain dip or slot tooled right into the fiberglass. It might be a relatively simple process. A couple of loose screws or a missing screw combined with poor drainage can put a surprising amount of water into your cabin. If there is nothing obvious from a visual inspection bella-vita's idea of using a hose starting at the highest point and SLOWLY working your way down is a great idea. Remember too that water can run along the inside of the hull and appear downstream. Do you have one of those construction-type tiny inspection cameras with a small lens at the of a flexible cable. Those are great for looking behind cabinets. that's how I found the cabin leak on my 360. It was coming from the port side windshield.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to remove the foam seal to expose the screws for my windshield. Once removed, I sealed each screw one at a time. Hopefully next season I won't see a stain on my headliner! I was also able to remove each screw for my bow rail and reseal them.
    2008 330EC