Options

Calculating Coverage Requirements For Bottom Coating

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was just asked tonight by an acquaintance who is going to have his boat's bottom coated in a few weeks If I had a formula to determine as close as possible a "ballpark" estimate of the coverage area for his hull. He is going to order the paint himself and a friend will apply it. He has a Rinker 350.  I have always been told to calculate the amount of coverage area for a "normally" designed cruiser by using:  L (actual hull length) X W X .85  Then to follow the number of coatings and procedure (time to cure between re-coating) from the manufacturer. As these coatings do not generally store well one hates to over purchase a lot of it. I think his first choice would be Micron CSC. That  L X W X .85 "formula" seems to work for my Rinker 360 - any thoughts? As always, all comments appreciated!
Post edited by Michael T on

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's probably a reasonable calculation. The Micron CSC stores well actually. I've used partial cans stored for a season with no problem. 

I'm changing to VC-17 this year. A bit slicker than the CSC. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

@BD, good to know.

I like the CSC for its multi-season profile. Interlux considers it a multi-season co-polymer ablative that has a tremendous wear profile in waters with less "growth" potential. Because I boat in the "fresh" water of the St. Lawrence River/Great Lakes the water is cooler without a lot of weed slime and critter growth.    

VC-17 with Biolux is aslo a great product. Interlux considers it a thin film antifouling ablative - one of the best for barnacles, heavy slime and assorted marine critters.  

VC Offshore with high copper loading is considered one of the new breed of hard vinyl paints, another great product. Both of the VCs are super slick surfaces and the VC Offshore can even be "polished/burnished" for extra racing speed.

I used to buy many thousands of gallons of Interlux through my contracting company each year and was always impressed by their products.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Al if the "Aqua" you speak of is the one made by Interlux (Fiberglass Bottomkote Aqua Antifouling Paint) then my marina uses it too and likes the water clean-up and no VOC off-gassing. I believe it is O.E.M. on Sea Ray, Meridian and Bayliner plus a few others. However, I believe it is only rated as a "single season" paint and I want multi season paint, hence the CSC.
  • Options
    @Alawagg. It is very interesting to note that you are getting up to three seasons use from Aqua. You are probably correct in that the manufacturer is basing the paint's durability on salt water high fouling use. I agree 100% that the use of VOC based paints is deadly for the technicians. I couldn't believe the smell in the huge shop at my marina after my boat and a 342 were done with epoxy-based resins. A week after the application the smell in the shop made me queasy and made my eyes water. Not healthy, no matter how long it lasts!
  • Options
    SchlubSchlub Member Posts: 7
    to determine the bottom's square feet  length x beam x .85
  • Options
    @Schlub - Correct - unless there is some very exotic type of hull.