Options

clean below deck...

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I see all these pictures of engine compartments for this and for that and can't help but notice how clean they look- mine below, well not so clean.....what can I spray down the down below to get that white color back? Mine kind of looks like mildew and does not smell much better. I have thought about some sort of bleach product but others on the forum shut that down......is it just comes with the age or can it be "cleaned" down with something? Not really talking about the motor itself, learned a long time ago to leave that alone with all the electronics on it.....

Comments

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    They sell a bilge cleaner at marine stores I used it on my first boat after oil problem it cleaned everything up  easy!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

When I got my boat it looked real dirty oils muck and water marks, my wife cleaned it with dish soap I couldn’t believe she had gotten it so clean and with Dawn dish soap

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Purple Power or your choice (looks like Dawn's an option!) to clean, rinse with water, allow to dry thoroughly then roll and brush on Interlux Bilgecoat Enamel or Pettit EZ Bilge both of which are formulated to adhere like crazy, dry fast, last long and resist gas,oil, etc.  The Interlux comes in several colors but the straight white is very clean looking.
  • Options
    thanks,   and that dawn stuff is pretty good stuff...I recall a story of a bad oil leak on a car driveway that cleaned right up. So, it sounds like if you have a clean bliege, you have to work at it...great, one more thing to keep up with!

Thanks all, happy new year!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,619 mod
    Purple power is all I use and it is great!  I also put a little in afterwards to move around and help stay clean.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO if there are any knicks, chips or voids in the surface of your bilge area - get them properly painted FAST. One of the biggest osmosis damages to hulls and transoms is not water that gets in from under the hull it is water that gets into the fiberglass from inside the hull. Rule number one of osmosis prevention don't let water penetrate the hull from the inside!!!!!
  • Options
    don't think I have any damage or anything to worry with....it's just kind of mildewed. It is pretty hard to "scrub" so I am looking for something to spray on and rinse off and do the best job with that I can.....I'll look at what WM is pushing and also Atwood sure makes good stuff for the vinyl, perhaps I will look at what they have as well....like a tiddy boat!