Options

So what are you doing in the winter?

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I have no boat yet so I have been working on my new house. So far I have replaced the tile around the pool, installed a new kitchen with new appliances, painted some rooms, had a new dock installed, tiled the living room, kitchen and family room floors, renovated the bathroom/laundry room and had some landscaping done. Other projects in the works: A new screen lanai over the pool, all new windows and doors hurricane rated of course, new hall bath, new master bath, and floor tiles for all 4 bedrooms. 

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Very nice Handy!  Now get that guest room ready!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Its ready with all new furniture!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Handy, I guess you and I both have a case of can't-sit-still.  

I'll be trying to finish my garage renovation, which I've been working on for ten months.  It's 95% done.  I just need to install a few more wall cabinets for the workbench and the mudroom.  

This was a total tear-out.  Everything you see, I did myself -- framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical, trim, paint, floors.  I just finished building the closet doors a couple days ago.  

(Sorry for the crap photos.  With all the dark finishes, it's tough to get enough light for decent photos.)

Some people think I'm crazy to install kitchen-grade crown molding and walnut butcher-block in a garage.  But a garage doesn't have to be "just" a garage.  I want it to be as nice as the rest of the house.  And my philosophy has always been that if something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing!  

• Options
    Very nice. Fairfax county permit too? Lol
  • Options
    Thats a very classy garage. You can tell the man when you see his garage or his boat!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I was able to take care of a bunch of items on the boat at the end of the season. The only thing I have left is to bottom paint and a second coat of wax. I do have a bunch of projects to do on the house(been picking at it little by little). I'll be in Savanna for school from Jan 17th to Feb 12th learning about the Gulfstream G650. Not a bad time to be down south!
    http://www.gulfstream.com/aircraft/gulfstream-g650
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

LaRea, that is a pretty fancy garage!  My workbench is a piece from a bowling alley floor.

Some day I'll fancy up my garage (it'll probably be when I get older & have all that extra time, LOL!)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No surprises here @Handy and @ LaRea just another two of the very talented guys on this forum. Beautiful work....a details guy is a details guy no matter where he works: boat, house car.......
  • Options
    edited December 2015

BTW - Steve (who comes by the name "handyman" honestly) did you put schluter ditra mat down under that tile? Just checking the quality control, brother - LOL

@laRea if my Admiral banished me to the your garage for a "time out" I'd consider it a reward.

Of course, I'm sure you have a heated floor, beer/wine cooler, blender and condiment table (that's the butcher block and sink area right? ...also doubles as a parts cleaning station in a pinch), satellite system, HVAC, air changer ( for game time when the guys get into the beer, pickled eggs and pickled jerked sausage), IMAX movies, reclining massage chairs, drop-down hooters posters......

• Options
    Dont need ditra mat here MT. We have concrete floors :)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, that garage is nicer than my house!
  • Options
    Steve, I put ditra even on concrete, Is it cool enough in the winter there to use the heated ditra in the bathrooms?
  • Options
    No MT. Very seldom we turn the heat on
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usually running the air except for very few weeks of the year.....can you put cooling tubes under the tile?
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    The Schluter Ditra is a great product! They make a version now that accommodates your in-floor heat cables by just snapping them in place. We put on a kitchen addition and I've got 540 sq ft of heated tile floor (required 2 of the longest 240 volt cable systems + 2 thermostats) and in Iowa in the winter time, let me tell you, it feels REAL good on the bare feet!!
  • Options