Options

Navionics maps- Navionics + or platinum +?

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
Anyone here have experience with both of these? Trying to decide if its worth the extra to step up to the platinum+ ? Plotter I bought only has silver maps, so am going upgrade to navionics + atleast but the 3d sure looks nice.
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Platinum and we love it. You get a year's free upgrades. My navigator, the Admiral, likes that Navionics up-grade more than the upgraded maps we bought for out Garmin - which were decent btw. Just choose carefully to get the correct Great Lakes coverage for your area. I have the lake Ontario one which is good for the St. Lawrence and lake Ontario. I verified the coverage by telephoning the number for the U.S. 1-508-291-6000. They were a great help with information. I have chip number MSD/648P+
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    ahhhh ok, I was looking at 901p which is like 400$, 250 is a lot easier to swallow. Thanks! Will go with platinum now.
    Post edited by BellevilleMXZ on
  • Options
    "BMXZ - The Admiral has used a lot of GPS systems. She liked the Garmin BlueChart G2 Vision chip for our Garmin 741 in our EC 310 but likes the Navionics Platinum+ that we use in our Raymarine E95 in our EC 360 a lot better. I think there is a 3D view with the Platinum+ but I'd have to check that. We also have satellite and land/points of interest overlays but don't use them except when at anchor for fun as we think they obscure the plotted course too much. You can probably go to a selling dealer and look at the various chips in a display. That's what we did at a West marine store. Is there still a West Marine in Oakville? ....and as I mentioned I telephoned Navionics directly and discussed their different chips. The representative was very helpful and made our choice easier and I think better.
  • Options
     Its going to be nice having a good GPS this coming season, can't wait! Thanks for the info, I def. owe you a beer!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @BMXZ , we'll have to arrange a meet. I hope to be at Trenton/Belleville a number of times this summer. maybe we can get a few other Rinker owners to meet at the same time? There were a lot of Rinker boats in the new Trenton Marina but I don't think any of the owners are on this forum.
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    So my boat is a 2005 and the electronics are clearly outdated. I tossed and turn many nights trying to figure out what to do to update. I ended up buying a Dell Tablet and use the Navionics app with satellite overlays. Gotta tell you, it's pretty darn good and a lot less expensive.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE the Navionics app! I use it on my iPhone 6 Plus along with my Garmin 182C
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    @BMXZ , we'll have to arrange a meet. I hope to be at Trenton/Belleville a number of times this summer. maybe we can get a few other Rinker owners to meet at the same time? There were a lot of Rinker boats in the new Trenton Marina but I don't think any of the owners are on this forum.

Sounds great I would be up for that :-)

• Options
    DanD2 said:
    So my boat is a 2005 and the electronics are clearly outdated. I tossed and turn many nights trying to figure out what to do to update. I ended up buying a Dell Tablet and use the Navionics app with satellite overlays. Gotta tell you, it's pretty darn good and a lot less expensive.

aero3113 said:
    I LOVE the Navionics app! I use it on my iPhone 6 Plus along with my Garmin 182C

Yes , I have it on my phone, love it. That's how I figured out quick I needed a better GPS lol