Options

Remote Monitoring Systems

So...I've always thought it would be nice to have an easy way to monitor temperature, bilge pump operation, & power outages remotely.  I'm an hour away from my boat and we do sometimes leave it in the slip year round.

I have had a few bellows leaks over the years in various Mercruiser Alpha's and a piece of crap OMC (years ago).  The bilge pump/float switch was cycling away while we were not there...unknown to us.  I'm sure there were ways to set something up to keep track of this but I never had anything like that.  Anyway....technology has come around on this and it's pretty affordable to have a basic system that will text your phone when temperature, power, or water, become a problem.

There are a bunch of products out on the market that have all kinds of bells and whistles....cameras, door alarms, motion detection, GPS movement etc.  But...you pay through the nose.  I don't really care too much about those things but I'd like to be able to monitor the power/bilge/temp....for a reasonable price.

I did a little research and the Pump Alarm product seems pretty decent based on reviews.  $220 for the hardware and 50 bux a year for the service.  You'd have to figure out how to best install the float switch in the bilge but the rest seems very easy.

http://www.amazon.com/PumpAlarm-com-S-PB-Cellular-Water-Alarm/dp/B00DZ0YM60/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.pumpalarm.com/

Has anyone used this product or another similar?

Thanks,
RiverJunkie

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RiverJunkie, please let us know what you decide and how well it works. I've been thinking of a monitoring system too. I'd like to get one that also has a real time video surveillance ability that I could access electronically from anywhere
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Haven't had time to work on my boat yet, but plan to this month.
    should be super easy.  I own a security company and we do this all the time in homes.
    we installed 28 cameras on the marina and just happened to log in Wednesday to check my boat. Didn't look right in slip.  Seemed to be up against the dock at the rear swim platform.  Luckily only 40 min away so I ran up to check it and sure enough one of my dock lines had broken.  We had some crazy wind a few days ago and I guess it snapped. 
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Nice catch red!  It'd be nice to see cameras at my marina!  I'd really like to connect something up to monitor water level at a bridge I have to go under to get into my marina.  Depending on tide, I won't fit and have to go in a back way (that is too shallow during low tide).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

Having marina cameras is nice but I'd like to install a camera in my boat that I could access in real time from anywhere - without spending 10K LOL

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Web cams are very easy but you need WiFi. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have access to the security cameras and DVR function at my marina also. It is great t be able to check on the boat remotely. It is currently stored there and it is under the one camera.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    There was a new wifi hub installed right beside my slip last year. That should work. maybe I have just found a winter project?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT you should own that marina
  • Options
    Steve, I'd be  more than happy with your set-up in C.C.
  • Options
    RiverJunkieRiverJunkie Member Posts: 30
    You don't need WIFI...many of the newer ones work on cellular.  If you have phone service...you are good....hence the yearly contract.

The one I've been looking at is one of the cheapest...and very bare bones but you can get all kinds of bells and whistles for more $$.  You could control your whole boat if you want to spend the money.
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Same monthly as any residential security system.  National providers are normally super high.  Equipment is not high priced.  Probably can do my boat for under 500 and cover a lot.
    Usually it's either pay for gear and lower monthly or amortize some or all cost into long term monthly. If you pay for gear and want to view cameras and have alerts. 39 +/- monthly annual contract.  Roll gear in and I have seen monthly up over 80 and long term contract.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold