Options

Low cost lighting idea.

dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
What do you think?
Remote control LED lighting in any colour. Bright enough to read by. If anyone is interested I can post a list of parts.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dalek, well there's only one thing I can think of to say - way to go, that is so COOL! Can we assume that it is a tri-colored 12v strip light. Any details would be gratefully received .....like when where how, how much, wired-in how etc. etc.
  • Options
    In Ebay or similar search Multicolour 12 v led waterproof strip light full kit 5 M. These are unbelievably only about £10.00. The kit includes a remote control and cables. The light strip takes the form of a tape. The backing strip peels off and it is self adhesive. My boat is a FV270.The distance between the TV cabinet and the front of the berth is about 1.5 M The distance between the cooker cabinet and the front of the berth is about 1.7 M and you need about 1.6 M of cable between the two. The lighting strip is clearly marked with areas that can be cut with a scissors. What I made was a 1.5 M piece which I cut at the appropriate length. I then peeled back the clear rubberised coating and soldered some small 4 core PTFE cable of about 1.6 M long and similarly soldered the other remaining led strip at the other end. It was then cut to length. The cable is pushed into the lining above the mirror.There are connectors available for this LED tape that may make the job easier. I sealed the solder joints with Loctite 5145. A fused cigar type power connector is then attached to the end nearest the TV cabinet. The backing tape was then peeled off. Job done.
    If I have not made anything clear or can be of any further help please do not hesitate to ask.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dalek - great description, thank you! I see a lot of 270 owners looking at this conversion!
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    nic!! Got a kit already here to be installed, cant beat the price for this that's for sure
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Very nice Dalek.  I've used the same lighting around my hardtop.  I will say, the only issue I've had with it is on 12VDC. I needed to add a capacitor across the input power because every now and then I had to reset it to get the remote to work.  I've also used the same lighting around the ceiling in my home kitchen.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Plan on using this type of system under my swim platform this spring
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    OliverMoliverOliverMoliver Member Posts: 1
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Dan.
    I did try to use those strips under and around my swim platform the problem was that the sticky tape supply with those strip is not good enough and not waterproof. I finally use 4200 sealant,and make sure that all electrical ends connections on the strips are seal with 4200 otherwise water will get into them. Still the actual plastic that cover the LED will get foggy under water. So I end up putting them on the transom above the sterndrives. 
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Frenchship, I had planned on using 4200 as the underside of my swim platform is kind of rough and putting some on the transom and along the inside edge of my platform. I boat in freshwater only and the lights would occasionally be in the water, like when I'm coming off plane.
    Do you think under those conditions the plastic will get foggy?

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    I boat in fresh water also and they still get foggy, so when I installed them only on the transom I bought a silicon tubing end ends caps that you can put the lights inside the tubing from superbrightleds.com with this things are Ok as long as they don't go all around the swim platform.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that if you go all the way around the swim platform when you bend it around the corner good chance that it will break the connectors that joint the LEDs. It happen to me.
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    When I look at all these lights they show they come with 120v ac plug,but they say they r 12v can u hook them up right to boat batteries (with a fuse of course)?I would also like to use them in them cabin to replace Oem accent lights 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    The one I have run 12volts and I hook them up to the accessory switch on the dash and since that switch is already protected with a breaker no need for a fuse.
  • Options
    The actual kit I bought did come with an AC adaptor but I just cut the output wires off and discarded the transformer part. The LED strip I used was the 5050 not the 3528. If you do use a fuse these strips take less than 2 Amps on full power. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    That's what I was wondering if I could do thanks! Just wanted to be shure it would be safe and work properly before I get to cutting stuff.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Dalek is correct & I'd advise getting the 5050s, better color.  & you can definitely use the 12VDC or 115VAC. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express