Options

Adding 110 Volt Circuts

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of new guys on the forum doing boat renos so I thought I'd post a picture of a product that makes adding a 110 volt circuit a lot easier. It is the Molex snap-in 110 volt plug

There are usually several blank ports on the back of the Rinker power panels. Running 12 volt lines is pretty easy but 110 volt lines are more complicated - unless you have the oem Molex plugs.

First, I'd check at the back of my panel, not directly on the hinged door that opens as it displays the breakers but the inside top of the panel where the main wiring comes in. At that location you will find Molex plugs. Different colors for different amperages.

There should also be several blank ports that will accept the Molex plugs.  The blue Molex I have shown below - click on the pictures -  is for 15 amps. The plug opens like a clam shell. You strip your marine wire - don't use house 3-wire as it is not marine grade and probably violates your insurance.

You place the stripped wire ends in the slots in the Molex plug and snap the cover shut. This provides a very secure and water resistant plug that then snaps into the Rinker OEM panel.

I ran four 110 volt  plugs for our 310 and one for our 360. I also use a GFI for the receptacle and as you know you could even run a second plug off of the GFI and have it GF protected too.

The beauty of using the panel is that the Molex ports are usually associated with a breaker on the panel. Even if not you just use the GFI.

The 15 amp Molex plug from Rinker is PN: 3 POS MX Series BLU #14-16 19403-1011 Molex

P.O.# RPT0119257

Molex can also be googled or contacted at 1-800-786-6539

I ordered mine through Rinker and they were shipped fast.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Very informative!  Of course, for the 342 owners among us, good luck removing that breaker panel without a fight (as discussed elsewhere on this forum).
  • Options
    @LaRea, can you access the top (back) of the panel by reaching around using a construction video camera, mirror or from inside a cupboard or is it just a nasty experience? I guess I didn't know how lucky I was with the 310 and the 360!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    On the 342, you can't service the breaker panel until you remove the plastic door that covers it.  For most models, especially early ones, that requires cutting or breaking the door frame.  Then you have to be a contortionist with a high pain threshold to pull the panel out.  Aside from that, it's not too bad!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the 280, the cabinet door needs removed to have the ability to open the panel. If the panel was moved an inch forward, then no need to remove the door. A minor design flaw...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @LaRea Wow, that's a lot of work. I ran 4 new 110 volt and 6 new 12 volt lines in the 310 and apart from some work fishing the lines behind cabinets and around equipment all went well. On the 360 it was even easier. I ran 4 new 12 volt lines and only one new 110 volt line. If I had a panel that was that hard to get behind I think I would modify it. I have been in a few 342s and it didn't "appear" that the panel would be so hard to access - I guess looks can be deceiving. I wonder if there are other cruisers that are really hard to get at the electrical panel. I believe the 310, 340, 350 and 360s are all easy to access. I have run dedicated 12 volt lines for fans, TVs and accessories like 12v vacuums. I have run 110 volt lines for Satellite TVs, fans and lap tops. The extra lines made the 310 and 360 a lot better. In the 2013 EC 310 there was not a dedicated 110 volt line in the cockpit. Randy said that had been an oversight. I wonder if the 2014 and newer 310s have that corrected?
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    I bet Al knows who designed the access to the 342 electrical panel.  This particular designer was really sadistic.  lol
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    edited January 2016
    The person that designed the panel on a 342 should be hung by his nutz............lol Actually the more I think about it the person that designed that whole area should be hung by his nutz. Try changing out the microwave.......... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

@raybo3....you kill me Ray! LOL ...but I have heard about the microwave before.

....so I'll see you and raise you -  we buy the 2013 EC 310.  We love it. But, after a couple of days on it I realize I can't sit on the toilet without leaving the door to the head open. (yeah I know TMI) So I would have to send the Admiral up top ...actually it didn't take too much coaxing - she saw me heading for the head (pun intended) and was topside like a rat on fire. LOL.

I phone Randy and tell him. I said you're a pretty big guy - ever tried to sit on the can. He has a good laugh and says no. I explain. I'm pretty sure he thinks the call is either a prank from one of the guys on the production line or I'm nutz.  

I tell him I want to remove the starboard mounting screw on the toilet base, loosen the port screw, move the toilet a few inches to port, drill a new hole for the starboard screw, install it and gel coat over the old screw hole. There's silence on his end LOL

I ask, can I do this and will it void any warranties? He said "Well, I guess so but is it really necessary?" I say it is for me, unless I want to sit sideways on the friggin' toilet LOL.

He says there's a new EC 310 coming down the line and he'll have a look and get back to me. 

I get a call back about two hours later he says "I couldn't sit on the toilet either! I got one of the guys from engineering and he couldn't sit on it too! We are going to change the orientation of the toilet!"

BTW - I have the e.mail to prove this LOL

I never did move the toilet, I traded the 2013 EC 310 on a 2014 EC 360 at the end of the first summer. Some short a** bought it so he'll be fine.

I hope I didn't share this before. I can't remember half my posts LOL.

While funny, I ask how many other boat manufacturers are that responsive that fast and does anyone think they could get the CEO of other brands on the line. Rinker isn't always right but they do try real hard to make things right! Gotta love that!