cabin frig

l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

When I turn off circuit breaker (110v) for cabin frig it switches to 12v. How do I turn off the 12v to the frig without

turning of the 12v to the rest of the boat. I don't need the frig (selling the boat) and the freezer keep frosting up.

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Len, on some fridges you can shut it off by using the thermostat to turn it to zero then it clicks for off.  On some models you can unplug it at the back and that takes off 110v and 12v
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    MT is right, just turn the dial and then turn it a bit more for that final click off.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the replys. I will be going to the boat Tues and defrost the frig and try your suggestions.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as long as mine has 12V power, it will not turn off...the thermostat inside you can turn all the way but it will still stay on......unless I turn off the helm switch it runs. Never been able to sort that one out!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also thought mine wouldn't shut off. Once it's turned down turn it a little more and it will click to an off position. (I forget what way you have to turn it)
    2008 330EC

Rasbury

That is also the same way mine operates. Don't know why they did not put a switch on it somewhere.

• bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    If I recall its counterclockwise then turn a little harder an it will click to off.mine was real hard to turn to off the first time I knew how to do it but it just would not turn I did not want to break it (at least not during my prime boating)so near the end of season I forced it a little harder an it clicked now it is easy to turn.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has a breaker in the battery panel for each fridge. Not sure how to trip the breaker...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    For anyone with an ice maker there is an off switch below the door on the OUTSIDE just at the edge where the top of the plastic cooling grille meets the bottom edge of the door.
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Had a similar problem with my fridge not turning off. I had to unscrew the switch inside and remove.  Just had to unplug the electrical connector from the back of switch and remove.  Careful not to damage copper probe snapped onto freezer.  Lubed up with wd-40 and gently worked the post till i could get it to turn that extra bit to shut off.  Cleaned it up and lubed with a little electrical anti corrosion lube.  Good as new.  Seems the dampness corrodes that aluminum switch post
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you pop the breaker to the fridge?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine does not have any sort of breaker on it which is kind of a concern....also, I don't think it is working on 110V- I know it basically is a 12V with a converter for the 110 to 12 with a box that is mounted on the back. Mine did not work at all when I bought the boat, I purchased a control module which fixed that problem. While I had it out of the boat, I tested it with battery leads and also a plug in for the 110. When I disconnected the battery, and left it plugged into an outlet, it would not run...would that be an accurate test? It works on battery and have not had any issues running down my house battery so I'm not to worried about it but does kind of bug me if it is not working correctly...
    Ras - there should be a breaker next to your battery switch - did you check that?  Also not sure if it needs a constant 12V for the control board to work, and switch to 110V when it sees that power.  That's one for the operating manual!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

We turned the temp control all the way counter clockwise and added some extra pressure and  heard a click which I think turned the frig off. Will know for sure next time I am at the boat.

That's the way it is supposed to work Len. Fingers crossed!
    Yes that's it!

"Boat + Water = Fun"