Options

2004 FV 250 Bilge pump questions

amajamaramajamar Member Posts: 57 ✭✭

During my careful inspection of my new to me boat, I notice that the bilge pump sizes and locations are seemingly odd to me.  The aft pump, (what size it is I have no idea because I can't really see it from my vantage point) seems like it would be nearly impossible to service or replace.  And the forward pump seems really too small to really be effective in case you have that much water coming in.  I suppose at that point it would be sensible to break open the cover of the shower pump and let it run.

How do you guys recommend to test the pumps while the boat is out of the water (and slightly nose down as it sits in my driveway)? 

How have you replaced or repaired the main aft pump, and if so, how did you EVER get to it??

Any helpful bilge pump advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    wlavistawlavista Member Posts: 19
    I burned mine out because of the XDP bellows leak. I could not get to it to do it myself. It cost about $300 to replace it and the 30 yr. tech said he hated it because it is located below the engine.  The advice I got on the old site was to put a new in in an easier location.  You can check it by listening to both, aft and cabin.
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Your pumps should be a Rule 1100 GPH.  These are the OEM pump. 
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Tsquare said:
    Your pumps should be a Rule 1100 GPH.  These are the OEM pump. 
    We're glad your here Al  :D

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    If you still have the OEM Rule Pump, the top of the pump can be removed while the base is left attached to the hull.  Simply splice the wires with water proof heat shink connectors and then reattach the new pump to the original base.  Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    mcmximcmxi Member Posts: 8
    Can I ask a bilge question about the same boat, but a year newer?  I ask because I don't want to hijack the thread from Amajamar but starting a whole new bilge thread might not be necessary...
    Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
  • Options
    mcmxi said:
    Can I ask a bilge question about the same boat, but a year newer?  I ask because I don't want to hijack the thread from Amajamar but starting a whole new bilge thread might not be necessary...
    ASK AWAY :)

• Options

My forward bilge (under the shower sump) was running continuous, wouldn't shut off.  It was hard to see what was under there, but it looked like another device with "auto-switch" on the top cover.  Is that the float switch for the forward bilge?  If it is, would that be the cause of the bilge not shutting off?  Maybe a stuck float or just a bad switch?  For the time being, I cut the power wire to the bilge so it doesn't run continuous.

• Options
    Do you mean inside the shower sump box? Or the center bilge? They both have float switches 

• Options
    edited May 2013

Must be the center bilge.  It's actually just under the shower sump box to the starboard side.  The auto-switch is located just aft of the bilge.  Is there another bilge forward of that one?

My shower bilge is bad, too, I believe.  The previous owner didn't use the head at all.  I checked voltage to the connector and had 12.8v. 

• Options
    Better wait for Tsquare (Al) or Partsman on that I've changed my shower sump float switch numerous times but never had trouble from the other one (Knock on Wood) 

• Options

The joys of boat ownership.....

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    if you know where the shower box is opened it up and see if the switch is stuck. should just be 4 screws holding the top down
  • Options

I pulled the pump out of the box thinking it may be stuck or bad.  I checked voltage at the connector and had good voltage.  The float moves freely which leads me to believe it's bad. 

The bilge pump that's under the shower sump (not the shower pump) was running constantly, so I assumed a bad or stuck float switch.  I went out there today and was able to remove a screw from the float switch and lift it up enough to get my fingers under it.  I pulled a racquetball sized hair ball out from under the float...works like a charm now! 

Now I just need a new a/c strainer bowl and reinstall the shower bilge when I get one and I should be good to go as far as pumps go.

Still haven't figured out the Jabsco head yet, though......

• Options
    automaticj5automaticj5 Member Posts: 2
    Question for you - you say bilge runs non stop. I have same exact boat and I just got it - the boat pumps out water almost non stop every 10-15 minutes...

So you say yours runs nonstop - is it pumping out water the whole time?

I'm guessing I have a leak. But again I literally just got the boat so I wonder if I just have a valve or something that needs turned?

Ideas?
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Auto. That's a leak that you'll need to find. So far it sounds like the pump has saved the boat from sinking but it'll get tired and when it does it'll quickly become game-over. Try posting a fresh thread with your boat model and specs so we'll know how to help you aim at the probable causes. Good luck. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    automaticj5automaticj5 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - I did post a fresh thread a couple days ago. I'd post the link but I'm on my phone... Shouldn't be far down! Thanks again