Replacement door gasket for Tundra T42 fridge?

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
Before I go to the expense and pain of replacing the fridge in the galley I think I'd like to try replacing the door gasket.  The units freezes up a lot which could mean a bad thermostat or just a bad seal.  Since it's really good a making a solid block of ice out of the freezer I think the compressor is fine.  I was able to find a whole replacement door for the fridge on Great Lakes Skipper, but have not had much luck on the gasket.  Has anybody replaced one of these?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stodge, also consider the adjustment of the fridge door. There isn't a lot of adjustment available but we found a way to adjust the cabin fridge door using screws on the top of the fridge. I noticed a problem one night when the lights were off and I could see light coming from inside the fridge - around the edges of the door seals. The door was out of alignment enough that the interior fridge light was always on. I thought it was a gasket problem but no matter what I did it wouldn't seal right. The tech and I took the fridge out and frigged around with the door for a couple of hours. I think we have it fixed now. I'd start with alignment first. BTW the fridge in the cockpit (same company - Dometic) works fine.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a look at that.  I have an older (2002) Tundra.  No light.  :(

edited January 2016

@Stodge, when I decided I had better check the fridge in the cockpit too, the door was working well enough to turn off the interior light BUT I was still worried that the seals might not be tight enough.

So I waited until it was dark then I put a powerful LED flashlight in the fridge and shut the door. That way I'd see if any light was leaking around a seal and if so - where. I was lucky that fridge was okay. At least it made up for the PITA fridge in the cabin

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can have any fridge gasket made, FYI
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the fridge is freezing up (meaning there's a lot of ice build up), that is definitely not a thermostat problem. The moisture has to come from somewhere, and the difference between -5'C and -20'C is next to nothing when it comes to pulling that moisture out of the air.

I agree it's because too much fresh air is getting in, either due to a poor seal or the door is opened too frequently and/or left open for too long.

There has to be a cheap way of replacing that gasget. Just call a fridge technician.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

With the cabin fridge we had the biggest gasket I could buy with three different flanges to set it at three different distances from the door. In my case that still didn't work. The door was out of alignment too far. I do agree though I'd start with the rubber gasket as that's the easiest culprit to eliminate.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The gasket seems pretty specific.  I will look at the door alignment when it warms up outside.  Single digits this morning.

Domestic HQ in Florida could probably ship a gasket to you or connect you with a parts supplier.