Options

Recent Cost Comparison Mercury Gas To Diesel + Mercury Racing Video

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, we have discussed this topic to death. But, I just got a new boating magazine. In it is an article on Mercury's new VW based, special block casting, 3.0L TDI Diesel. No question it is super neat. No question it will be a huge success in tow boats and some small cruiser applications as twins. No question it has lots of low-end torque. 

But here's what caught my attention. the article compared it with Mercury's 6.2L (377 Mag) gasser. I found that "interesting". Here's why: 3.0L diesel = 260HP for 34K (Mercury MSRP) .....6.2 gas = 320HP for 20K (Mercury MSRP) .....this week I was just told by Mercury as part of my discussion with them about the Mercury Platinum Protection Warranty  that my 8.2 Mags = 380HP have an MSRP of 25K

This is the first time I have been able to compare Mercury's MSRPs for the different engines - with the data straight from Mercury.

So for two small diesels I'd pay 68K MSRP. For two 8.2 Magnums I'd pay 50K MSRP .....that's 18K difference....and I should really have the bigger diesels with an EC 360. When I compared the 300+ HP Volvos the difference was 50K

How much gas will that buy? 

BTW, want to see AWESOME HP .....google Power Boat TV and click on the header for episode1 of 2016. The NorTech with twin Mercury 1100HPs @ 130MPH is certainly cool but check-out the center counsel (yeah a center counsel) with FOUR Mercury 400 HP super charged outboards - Geez that's 1600HP on a center counsel @ 100MPH - guys.....you really should check that out!

Episode 1 is called Mercury Racing - enjoy

Post edited by Michael T on

Comments