Options

Looking for some input on a two issues...

DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
last year, on a long trip, I noticed my boat was listing to starboard quite a bit while under way.  I could correct it somewhat by giving it full trim tab on the starboard side , but not completely.  As soon as I came off plane, it leveled out.  Friends were saying one fuel tank was full and the other was empty, but that wasn't the case.  Turns out, I have two sets of trim tabs underneath. One I can control and the other that is stationary and always in the "up" position.  A bolt had backed off the support for the stationary trim tab and it settled into the "down position"  Easy fix.   we just wire tied the bolt into the position that the other one was in. However, the question remains in my mind, why even have a stationary set of trim tabs. Do any other sizes have two sets of trim tabs, one movable and one stationary ? And what is the purpose ?

Also, if you take a good look at the pic of my boat, it seems (to me at least) that my swim platform is very very close to the water (especially on the port side, in this pic, you can make out the way it slopes to the port side), and it doesn't matter if its full of fuel or not.  It does come up out of the water when on plane, however brochure pics show the platform out of the water and not touching while the boat is stationary. Again, some advice that was passed my way, was that the Volvo Penta IPS diesel drive, weighs more than the 496s and brings the stern down further, this still doesn't explain why it lists more to port ...

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Not sure about the stationary tabs, but you might want to ask @Alswagg about that. He did a lot of work on the 400-420's. The stationary list could be due to the battery bank and the fresh water tank being on that side. On my 280 (much smaller boat), I have 3 batteries and the fresh water tank on the port side of the boat. When I fill my fresh water tank, my boat does sit lower on the port side. I could move a battery to the starboard side, but that entails longer and larger gauge battery cables. It is something that I have considered doing, but for now I don't run with a full fresh water tank since I overnight at the dock.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks !!     I have 6 batteries in the stern/port, and after replacing every one of them myself, I can tell you they are HEAVY !!  My water tank is centerline/midship, so I don't think that comes into play.
     (Al, please feel free to chime in anytime !!)  I believe the brochure photo below, depicts the way the platform should sit.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al is too busy playing in the snow guys.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    FWIW, my 370 is the same -- when not on plane, the swim platform is almost touching the water.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Well, my 400 sits high enough that I can get under the platform in the water and have my head well above water, so probably close to the picture.  I'm pretty sure your has to be all the extra weight of the diesels and pods. 

here is a picture of a 390 with diesels and a 420 without diesels:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

• Options
    Heck, here is one of a bunch of us all in Rinkers of sizes from 310, 320, 342, 390, and 420.  The 420 sits the highest

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
     and a partridge in a pear tree! Sweet lookin!!
  • Options
    That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about !!  Now I'm wondering if it's the extra weight in the stern, or is my swim deck "drooping" and may need to be re-aligned ??  That 420 in the pic is how I picture how mine should look !!!

I looked it over really good, it looks as thought there has never been any damage, such as "backing in too hard to a slip" or anything that may have bent it down,  It appears to be in good shape ...just slopes down in the back.  Thanks for those pics !!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your swim platform appears to have been installed at a slight downward angle when you compare it's orientation to the hull tooling as compared to sister ships. 
  • Options
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Same lean on my 270. I can correct lean with filling holding tank with fresh water, but hate the extra weight. Seems to be a common rinker problem. I constantly have people asking me if I'm taking on water.
  • Options
    I have a letter in to Rinker asking them, and hopefully if Al ever comes back, he can chime in. Like I said, the listing problem, due to the stationary set of trim tabs is solved, but the swim platform has me scratching my head.
    Im not not a 100% sure relocating the battery bank would do it, and then the other problem starts, where would I put 6 batteries ?  They take up a lot of room !
  • Options
    Dirty, I really think it has a lot to do with extra batteries and your extra diesel/pod weight.  I've seen probably a half dozen or more 410/420s and none had issues at the swim platform.  Now, I have seen differences in listing and most are because something has been added (ie batteries).  My neighbor has a 400 (2007) and we have yet to figure out why it lists port.

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    Dirty, I really think it has a lot to do with extra batteries and your extra diesel/pod weight.  I've seen probably a half dozen or more 410/420s and none had issues at the swim platform.  Now, I have seen differences in listing and most are because something has been added (ie batteries).  My neighbor has a 400 (2007) and we have yet to figure out why it lists port.
    DI, which side of the boat is the liquor cabinet?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge, that is the first thing we discussed.  Both of us have it upfront, mine more on port side, his a bit of both sides.  His was that way at the beginning of season before we either of us loaded all the crap.  :)

• Options
    OK gents, this just in...I rcvd my reply from Rinker. They stated this:

"With the Volvo’s, your boat will sit low in the stern due to the additional weight, and also due to the hull running surface modifications required by Volvo for the propulsion (IPS) system". 

At least I know now that there is not a structural issue or prior damage !
  • Options
    So what kind of mileage did you get out of those volvos?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Hey Handy why is it always mileage with you? Maybe the question should be what kind of pleasure you get with those Volvo's? .......... Just say'n...LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    Dirty, the response from Rinker has to make you feel better. At least your boat has the cool factor that makes most of us envious of you and most won't even notice the swim platform sitting low. My little 232's swim platform sits lower than my friends other brands, about like yours. I like it because its easier to get up the ladder!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

:p I enjoy Handy's posts, but I do think he is the kind of guy that walks around with a ruler in his back pocket.

• Options
    Craig, I keep my ruler in the front LOL!!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in a pocket protector?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I feel 110% better knowing it's not something I need to fix !!  Thanks for all your input on this !

Handy :  Mileage......uhh,  OK  :-)      My boat is ALL DONE at 3500rpm...nothing left ! !  Getting there is a breeze though.  She's a heavy girl at 24,500lbs dry.  But she moves well through the water. Not much upsets her and wakes from other boats, similar in size and smaller are hardly noticed.  I have found that 2800 to 2900 RPMs is the sweet spot.  There is no trim on the pods, so there are no adjustments to be made. At those RPMs, I am at 24mph +/-.  There is no great loss of mileage if I bump that to 3100 RPMs and I might go up about 5mph.  After that, the mileage starts to drop off.  My best mileage at 2800 RPMs is about 12.5 GPH X2...or 25 GPH total. 

However that is NOTHING compared to the Smiles per Hour I get at just about any speed !!
  • Options
    Well thats great news and all the 40 owners wish they had that mileage. I will walk down the isle to the bank with you anyday with big smiles and giggle as we walk past Dreams Boat!:)
  • Options

:) Thanks Handy!  I usually don't have to walk down an aisle, I just automatically deposit it thru an online account.  (& the only time you'll be going past my boat is at the dock...which in the summer isn't often :)

& now that you can boat year round, I expect you to put at least 100 hours on the boat yearly.  At that point, I might be able to say you 'actually' use your boat more as well.  It's funny how yes, I burn more fuel than the majority on this forum...& use it more than most...& the one that uses his the least...burns the least.  hmmmm....

& Dirty, your numbers are about right in line with what I'd expect.  There are 2 390's I boat with that have diesels and they burn about 22-24gph at around 28mph.  & I agree, the smiles/hour is what matters!

• Options
    As Ray would say: 28 mph is Trawler speed  LOL 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    .......and  imo Ray would be Right  (as usual) -  it is trawler speed -  low speed trawler! LOL...... there  are many times each summer that I want/need  to exceed 28mph......and because I followed the theory that,  within reason,  bigger engines  appropriately dialed-in will burn less fuel...... I have gotten 34 mph burning 25 gallons. Again,  imo,   boat of 360 or smaller LOL has no use for diesels cost or distance wise -  an absolute waste of money unless deeply discounted price in a resale.  I like that my 360 can easily hit 48 mph and cruise at 40+ mph if the need arises......... Or just for the fun of "smoking" a sea ray or some diesel.  lol,  lol,  lol

PS........ Anyone watching Trump Tonight? Around the pool here in Phoenix he has HUGE support! 

• Options
    One may call me Trump
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Handy Trump is not the word we call you........lol Its more like Trawler....hehehe
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com