Options

Covered Slip Collapsed

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
Hello All,

The massive snowstorm that came thru here on Friday and Saturday laid down a quarter inch of ice and 20 inches of snow at Lee's Ford Marina on Lake Cumberland where our 342 is docked. All throughout the day on Sunday we heard and saw reports of covered slips collapsing at all the marinas. A 115 foot Houseboat went down at Jamestown Marina (Youtube search "Male Order Going Down"). At Lee's Ford, only 2 of 7 fingers were still standing and one was ours! The other end had come down and the whole thing was listing but it was still standing. About an hour ago, I received the bad news. Our dock had finally given up the fight and collapsed. I am going to try and post a picture. Our Rinker is the 2nd Boat from the left. Going to be a really bad next few months.

Wish Us Well,

Hamdog

Hamdog
"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    OUCH!  Man I am sorry to hear that.  Do keep us posted!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Man-o-man, am I one lucky SOB!!! I'm so sorry to see all that nautical carnage. Hope all will turn out well and losses are recovered for all affected.
  • Options
    sixpacksummersixpacksummer Member Posts: 43
    Hamdog, we boat at Laurel Lake just east of Cumberland. I was down yesterday and so far all the covered slips were still standing but several of them we about to give up. I am very sorry for your misfortune, at least there were no injuries. Boats can  be replaced but that is little consolation for the person involved. It is a bad situation on Cumberland as it appears more covered slips have collapsed than are still standing.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences Hamdog! I hope things work out for you and your slip mates! 
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    That is really awful.  I can relate but then again I am sure I can not relate.  A fellow who at one time was a frequent contributor to the RBO went by the name of ParkRode or something close to that.  He was extremely active on the site until hurricane Sandy(?) came along.  Sandy took a lot of stuff, including his boat.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Hamdog nothing but the best bro. Your family here prayers are with you....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    That is really awful.  I can relate but then again I am sure I can not relate.  A fellow who at one time was a frequent contributor to the RBO went by the name of ParkRode or something close to that.  He was extremely active on the site until hurricane Sandy(?) came along.  Sandy took a lot of stuff, including his boat.
    Tony there was a lot of members from the old RBO that lost their boats. ParkRode was one but the list is pretty long. DreamInn knows of who was affected. I think Dan and Darcy was another..................... So sad thank God there were no injuries....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Wow, not the kind of news you want to hear. hope all works out!!!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    raybo3 said:
    Tony there was a lot of members from the old RBO that lost their boats. ParkRode was one but the list is pretty long. DreamInn knows of who was affected. I think Dan and Darcy was another..................... So sad thank God there were no injuries....

Raybo, D&D actually got their boat to FL before that happened.  But yes, there were a handful of members here that didn't fare so well.  Always said to see these things happen.  We had one happen here in the storms we had in 2010.  Some of the largest, most beautiful boats were under it.  It was one of the more upscale places.  After that one I had a hard time ever thinking about putting a boat under a roof for winter.  Now, a close buddy of mine has his under one just around the corner from my marina (was Eagle's Nest on here)

Hamdog, hope it all works out for you.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream then I wonder why he didnt join this site. Does he still have his Rinker?
  • Options
    Raybo, not really sure.  Lot of us here that were close, just completely lost touch after the move to FL.

• Options
    That is a shame that that happens. There are a lot of members from the old site that did not come here...... 
  • Options
    Update: The roof is supposed to be removed and access to the boat possible by either this weekend or first of next week. Hopefully not too bad but radar arch is definitely down and we think the windshield is broken. I will try and post some pictures.

• Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    I am in shock for two reason's first the fact that the docks collapsed second that people actually keep their boats out on the water or on lifts in a cold weather or even moderate weather climates this time of year...not to sound insensitive but come on, what would you expect?  I live in Chicago and if you drive past the marina's they are empty, everyone is in a dry storage building or yard. Our boats come out of the water and get winterized in late October(at the latest) All that being said I hope your boat did not sustain any significant damage.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Partlowr, if the water isn't going to freeze, then there's less reason to pull the boat out. Let's face it, winterizing and storage is a pain in the A$$. Go to Vancouver, no one pulls their boats out. Yes it can get cold, and even snow a bit, but nothing that normally would cause any concern. This is a freak storm, once in 50 year storm.

If I could keep my boat in the water year round I would. In fact I think it would be cool to sit on the boat and drink some wine, listen to the music, on the occasional day.

Yes, I'm missing my boat. Happens every year this time.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark you still have to pull it yearly for maintenance or store on a lift :)
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    If I could get away with keeping my boat in the water all year round, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I hope for a quick recovery to your 2016 boating season.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Living in Kentucky should not warrant leaving your boat in the water all year round. KY is notorious for ice storms.
  • Options
    sixpacksummersixpacksummer Member Posts: 43

Storing a boat under a covered slip is rather common in southern Ky. The lakes never freeze and this was a 50 year storm. Plus the covered slips are rented on a yearly basis and inside storage is mostly rented on a yearly basis so just from a financial standpoint many do it.

• Options
    partlowr,

I guess you are somehow implying that this is my fault. This is not Chicago nor is the boat as small as yours. It takes a commercial truck with a wide load permit to even move it. None of the marinas around here are set up for storage nor do they even offer shrink wrapping. Not done around here and, quite frankly, not needed around here. I've been on my boat as late as mid-december and have de-winterized as early as March 1st. Not Chicago.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. You cant compare Chicago to Kentucky. Thats like Trump VS Hillary. LOL
  • Options
    Hamdog said:
    partlowr,

I guess you are somehow implying that this is my fault. This is not Chicago nor is the boat as small as yours. It takes a commercial truck with a wide load permit to even move it. None of the marinas around here are set up for storage nor do they even offer shrink wrapping. Not done around here and, quite frankly, not needed around here. I've been on my boat as late as mid-december and have de-winterized as early as March 1st. Not Chicago.
    I was not impying it was your fault, but I used to do a lot of boating on Kentuckey lake and I have seen ice on it in Jan. As for the size of you boat that is not a valid argument either, a good friend of mine has a 45 ft Azimut with a 15 ft beam in Lake Michigan that he has to take in and out every season. I guess maybe im just a little bitter because I have to write a $550 check every October for winterizing and a shrink wrap. I hope everything gets worked out for you. 
  • Options
    Thanks partlowr. I get your point. In hindsight, a good one.
  • Options
    partlowr I am for the Boston area and we have severe winters every year. Lots and I mean lots of people keep their boats in the water year round. Some are in the water and shrink wrapped. So I guess I dont get your point on "what would you expect". There are precautions that you take when you leave a boat in the water for the winter.  $550 for wrap and winterizing I wish. My bill for storage winterizing and shrink wrap is about $4000.  
  • Options

& here in MD, we get a mix of all it (probably like KY).  We got 30 inches out of this past storm.  Sometimes we just get ice, and lots of it.  We have boats inside, outside, on lifts, in water, in water under roofs.  Hamdog, I'd say having your boat under a roof, you probably take really good care of it and try to prevent any issues.  I will say, I just don't have a good feeling leaving my boat under a roof in the winter (when I say roof, I don't mean big building, but typical shed-like roof on the water).  But, it's just my gut feel.  I do keep my boat out on a lift all winter.  I'm going down today, finally, just to make sure things are ok.  But I have a buddy that looked at it from about 200 yards away last Sunday and said things looked ok.  I say each to their own and we all take our own chances.  As far as $550 for winterizing, you should feel lucky. 

Hamdog, I'm hoping all is ok and you can still boat come early spring.

• Options
    Mark you still have to pull it yearly for maintenance or store on a lift :)

Yes, but that is a 1 to 2 day job - not 6 to 7 months of not seeing the boat + all the winterizing, de-winterizing, preparing for long-term storage, etc. 

Comparing to a simple pull and maintain, is like having your teeth cleaned vs. a root canal and heart surgery.

I'd much rather be able to leave my boat in the water year round.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3 said:
    partlowr I am for the Boston area and we have severe winters every year. Lots and I mean lots of people keep their boats in the water year round. Some are in the water and shrink wrapped. So I guess I dont get your point on "what would you expect". There are precautions that you take when you leave a boat in the water for the winter.  $550 for wrap and winterizing I wish. My bill for storage winterizing and shrink wrap is about $4000.  

Ray to be fair, you should take the storage out of the equation, as you would have to pay for slippage costs over the winter months anyhow if you kept it in the water.  But I'd rather be paying to have my boat in the water and accessible than locked away in some building!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    But I do agree, $550 for winterization AND shrink wrap is obsurdly low. The shrink wrap alone on my boat would be like $400 or maybe more (I store indoors now, but I did get a quote a few years ago looking at alternatives).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited January 2016
    My shrink wrap is almost $500 alone. I do not have time to do my own winterizing so the marina where I store does it. That $4000 is without storage.... But it includes haul, power wash, winterizing both engines, genny, water system, A/C, Shrink wrap, blocking and stands and whatever else I forget...lol........ Just remembered sometimes he will come to the Yacht Club and get it for me if I am not able to make it.......