Options

Does your marina or yacht club have an outdoor picnic pavilion?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
If so, how does it get used?  What sorts of features and amenities do people find most useful?  

My neighborhood yacht club is considering building a pavilion in a large grassy area near the water.  We're thinking about a 25x40 pavilion, which is big enough for ten picnic tables.  The area gets used all the time for large and small social events, barbecues, parties, and just friends hanging out.  There's a porta-jon nearby, but no permanent head facility (and no easy way to add one).  

Any particular features we should consider, or problems we should avoid?

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our marina built that but off the dock. So we have a covered pavilion over the water. It has I think 4 picnic tables and a lounger area as well. It gets used a lot for BBQ'ing, and parties.  With notice, you can book the area out, and host a party. Mostly people BBQ and then eat at the tables, instead of using their own grill at their boat (the pavillion has 2 propane fired BBQ's).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ours has several BBQ,  fresh water,  picnic tables with a canopy over them and a fire pit.  It is in use constantly. Great value for expense imo. 
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Yes 2  BBQs, in a nice grass area, and  prob 5 or 6 picnic tables......great idea.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been in several marinas that have those. Its a great place to hang out, cook and drink then walk to your boat to spend the night. Dream will confirm this. LOL
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    My marina has a nice pavilion with a brick fire place for winter/ summer fires. Kids love to roast marshmallows. The pavilion has six roll up garbage doors that can be closed when weather is bad. The doors stay down in winter to store all the summer time goods.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Garage doors ... somebody suggested that here.  Or at least a set of roll-down canvas wind screens.   

We're looking at fireplace options too.  Our fire pit is just a few square feet of bricks set into the dirt, and it gets used a lot.  It would be nice to have a chimney to control the smoke, but we need something where people can sit on all sides of it.  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Ours has the roll up canopy. 
    Post edited by MarkB on

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The marina that I used to dock at had 2 party docks. One had an aluminum canopy on it for inclement weather. The group of us that spend the weekends there would have Sunday breakfast where everyone contributed in one way or another. It was also great for dock parties. One slipmate cleared an area along the shore for a fire pit. It made for some fun late night conversations.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    Ours has a kind a pavilion, its a building with a large covered deck upstairs and a covered are downstairs, we have 8 picnic tables on each level and gas grill and a big fire pit on the grassy area.
    Here is a picture from the floods last year.