Options

How to block pitot tube?

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
what is the preferred method of blocking the pitot tube when eliminating the speedometer? Should I fold and clamp the tube? Do they sell plugs to fit? 

Comments

• Options
    99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    how about a small screw held in place with silicone. then if you ever want to use it again it wont be damaged
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disconnected the pitot tube line at the speedo, heated it for a couple of minutes with a hair dryer, put a small wooden dowel in it and cranked two zip ties down while the plastic was still soft. That was over 15 years ago and it is still not leaking according to the present owner. Some guys disconnect it at the snap in connector at the drive but if you don't plug the line there it will spray all over the inside of the drive area - better behind the dash and easier imo.
  • Options
    Thanks guys... I just didn't know if there was a special plug or the right/wrong way of doing it. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    d2d1...trial and error brother. First time I tied-off a pitot tube behind the speedo at the helm I only used one zip tie. At about 50 mph it blew-off and soaked the front of my pants - most fun the kids had the whole day of boating. Thank God that was before cell phones!.....and yes, for you younger guys, there was a time before cell phones - right around the death of T-Rex.
  • Options
    I bet you had your 8-track blasting... Then ***BOOM*** pants are soaked and kids are howling. Lmao
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Diggin', you had me laughing at the thought of that one!  I remember my first truck in the 80's with my Pat Benatar, Journey, and Loverboy 8-tracks!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @d2d1...yeah that was pretty much how that day went for me! I still get reminded about it from time to time by the brats! @DI ...Loverboy? Geez - that was when we ALL had lots of hair. Bell bottoms anyone?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    That brings up a funny story.  About 20 years ago I was on travel for work in Texas.  It was a weekend and decided to go to a local fair (small one).  Walked in, and heard some music that sounded like the 80's.  Thought hey, gotta check it out.  Walked right up to the stage...it was Loverboy!!! 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The comment about getting splashed from pitot tube reminded me of a great story too... I used to be a car stereo installer in the mid-90s and one slow day the sales manager asked me to do some work on his car(mustang gt convertible). Well we did some "extra" work on his car... We re-routed his windshield washer to under the dashboard and aimed it at his crotch. We "dirtied up" his windshield before he came back into the garage so we could watch the action as he was pulling out. Ahhh the good old days!  
  • Options
    Can't top that d2d1....man, if you have kids you had better not share that story with them or the little bugg*rs will get you too...this I know from sad experience! LOL
  • Options
    @d2d1 ....I just recovered a memory that I must have buried deep. I just had my driveway paved - brand new - one day old. I'm watching numb nu*s change the oil on his car. He's looking at his dip stick and wondering where the oil is. I lean out the window and say, "You'll have more oil in the pan if you install the oil filter first." Any idea what oil does to new asphalt! He takes after his mother. Worst of all, the little sh*t lives in a condo. I can't go to his house and pour 4 quarts of oil on his new friggin' driveway. There is no justice in this world!
  • Options
    Parenthood.... The hardest job you will ever love. Lol
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Great stories guys, d2d had my laughin good.  Sorry to hijack the thread, but why would you want to block the pitot tube?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @06Rinker270, I did it to change to an electronic tach. 
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    ah gotcha, thanks
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270