Eisenglass Help

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
My insurance company is paying for all new canvas and eisenglass as part of the repairs from our docks roof collapse. We are having the replacement custom made and were told we could get whatever we wanted. Has anybody replaced their glass and incorporated any added features? Obviously, a screen in the large aft section. Any other ideas or recommendations? Thanks.
"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hamdog, are you saying is there something else that can be used other than eisenglass? The answer is yes, Strataglass. It's way more durable and lasts longer. But more expensive, and stiffer, so will not be easy to stow (I don't think you can bend it). 

Who's doing your canvas? You might want to contact TJ on this forum (boattech01), he might be able to guide you.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Going to stick with eisenglass. Just asking about where to put in screens, where to allow rollup, how many pieces, etc....Just general help on the design.
    One thing I can advise you doing, is have them put a velcro strip on the outside and provide you with cutouts that you can velcro overtop the eissenglass. That will keep the sun out of the cockpit and protect the eissenglass when the boat is not in use.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of guys have had screens copied from the glass panels. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Strataglass, far better than Eisenglass and I have screens for the front walk through, the two side windows and the back. on a hot summer's day it's like sitting in a gazebo. real nice!
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow mark, great idea on the cut outs- I was thing more about privacy not that you would want to cover all the glass at a marina, great idea for both!
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    When I replaced the isinglass on our boat we went a bit thicker than standard and did the screen and roll up thing for the aft panel.  Even better, we put smileys in the forward isinglass.  One on the port section and one in the starboard section.  Unzip, roll them up and strap them in the raised position.  We are very happy with the material and the features.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    There was a good discussion on this subject around April 2015 with the headline ,isinglass storage by youstolemybeer
  • summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    on my 310, the front piece is all one long connected piece.  my previous boat had 3 separate sections, and I liked that a lot better.  It also had a screen which could be placed in the middle walk thru section instead of the eisenglass which was nice.  anywhere you can get screens added will be a nice addition in my opinion.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I'm with summerx.  On our previous 310, I had the separate pieces.  Also had the back roll up instead of down, which was much nicer.  Also having a screen made for the front center is really nice!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with having the "smiles" cut so the glass rolls up. Mine roles down and I dislike it very much. Fortunately I rarely use the glass other than in inclement weather, so it isn't that big of a deal. Like what MT had done with the screen panels for a cross breeze. Someone on a thread a while back said that they had tabs sewn in to the top so they could roll up the glass and leave it attached to the bimini. I thought that was a great idea and I mentioned it to my canvass shop, which they agreed.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    For my front center glass I have an option to roll up or I can also leave it attached only at the top, then it swings back/up into the boat and can snap to the underside of my Bimini top. This is what I normally do as you don't have to roll it up so less chance of damage on this frequently used center piece.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    The canvas on my boat I purchased from a forum member a couple years ago. The front center section can either be rolled up or removed. also the rear enterance way can be rolled up or removed. This was not option on my original canvas and I like the fact that I can remove them. Also in front of the helm there is a section that can be unzipped and rolled up to get air to the helm which on hot days is really nice.

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    I would look into (and Im not sure of the spelling) EZ2See.....I know I butchered the correct spelling, however, I upgraded from the Eisenglass on my front connectors (between my hard top and windshield) and it is ABSOLUTELY just like flexible glass.  NO DISTORTION and super easy to clean  I used a heavier (thicker) grade, and it is amazing.   Let me know if you want some pics.  I doubt you would be disappointed.
  • summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I think you are talking about EZ2CY?  https://www.ez2cy.com/about.aspx
    Thanks for the input guys. Talking to the Admiral and she wonders about bugs sticking to the screens. She thinks the screens in the forward section or even the sides would be covered in bugs and need cleaning often. I don't see it. Thoughts?
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I do not use screens at all. I ever cut the screen off of my back curtain. IMO those curtains will not keep any bugs out and always look dirty...... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Dirty, just curious, have you ever removed them after you put them up?  It says to leave them up.  I actually like to keep mine down most of the summer if possible.

They definitely don't keep bugs out, but I would say the back one is pretty easy to keep clean. I normally just roll the screen down, spray a cloth with my eissinglass cleaner and wipe down both the eissinglass and screen.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Dream Inn.......I have not removed my connectors. No one has told me not to, but I take out my center section (pass through) for ventilation. You need to be careful, there is NO folding these panels..they are too rigid for that.  If I have an extended forecast and I know there is NO rain for several days, I may remove the connectors, but I am fine leaving them where they are. I take the back down all the time.
    First pic is when we installed the new glass and canvas, the second pic gives you an idea of how smooth and clear it is compared to the Eisenglass in the back of the boat
    Hamdog....When I re did my canvas, I wanted ventilation in the back, so I needed a screen. The whole idea of a screen over Eisenglass didn't sit well with me. I wanted to have shade, and I wanted ventilation. Eisenglass didn't provided either.  I decided to go with a screen and a flap. I have plenty of rear vision to the sides and didn't think I needed the big back window. Anyhow, the flap is going to be rolled up most of the time when the weather is nice. I thought the Eisenglass back there was overkill.
    The only issue I have with the way mine is designed, is, it can be a challenge rolling up the flap. You need to have some good climbing/balance skills.  But it works well and I'm happy with it. The exterior roll up flap is 100% waterproof and when it's up, it provides GREAT ventilation
    I hope some of these ideas work for you !
    Very nice Dirty!  & you need to make your boat work best for you.

@Hamdog, using screens for three years,  no bugs stuck to screen,  they must all have left by the morning. 
    Thanks Guys. A lot of good info. Boat was pulled yesterday. Lying on the beach in St. Maarten next 2 weeks so plenty of time to ponder options. Will let you all know if I have more questions. Appreciate the help.
    Go to the nude beach. You will think more clearly. LOL
    You will not be thinking of your boat though!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    And there is always the beach at Passage Key on the way from Terra Ciea Bay into the Gulf of Mexico.  My admiral hides my binoculars in this area.  LOL  
    The problem IMO with nude beaches is that all the WRONG people go nude.  I images seared into my psyche that no man should be burdened by LOL -  actually CRO....... cry out loud :-(
    100% Correct MT