Options

Boat Repair Questions

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
Part of the roof collapse saga....

1. The bow rails are bent down in 2 places from a steel beam. The insurance adjuster says they can be cut, straightened and welded and will look like new. My repair guy says no way. Replace the entire bow rails. Any advice?

2. I heard that some boats were being totalled due to impact to the radar arch causing cracks elsewhere. Don't have a clue on this one. Could this be a legitimate concern? If so, where should we look for cracks.

3. The radar arch cracked in 3 places and scuffed up pretty bad including a few small holes on the very top. Adjuster said might be repairable. I have no clue. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Bow rails, it depends. Can you post pictures. If the risers are okay, then maybe. They are welded anyhow where they T into the horizontal. I'd be worried about heat transfer to the gelcoat (those bars will get hot when welded).

2. Can you find out from others where they saw the cracks that they are concerned with. I'd probably look at where the arch joins the deck to see if it's split any of the the deck mould.  If that is split, I'd imagine it's a big job to fix.

3. Why would he want to repair it??? The labor will be more than just buying a new arch. I don't think that's a good idea.  An arch is structural, not cosmetic.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks MarkB. The risers on the rails are fine. Impact was dead center between them on both sides. One side bent down about 2 inches. The other side about 5 inches. Don't have a good picture. I will ask around about the cracks. I agree on arch. Thanks.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Hamdog,
    regarding the bow rail no way it could be cut and rewelded and look like new when you heat stainless it will change color and even if not stainless it would need to be rechrome. Have them replace the complete bow rails
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Frenchship the guys who weld stainless pipe don't end up with heat discoloration. So I'm not sure. They need to weld the risers to the rub rail anyhow even if it's completely redone so what is the difference?
    Post edited by MarkB on

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hamdog, My opinion on this: I would be very concerned if there was damage to an arch or hard top. I have watched as both have been installed and they are bolted through steel plates that are an integral part of the hull. I would be very concerned about structural damage.

I would insist that both the insurance company and the repair shop warranty their work if the damage was significant or write the boat off. 

I am very sorry that you and your colleagues are going through this!

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    The welder has to be really good, every time I saw stainless welded there was some light discolouration specially with low grade stainless. As an example lot of stainless used on boat that are in salt water would show a bit of rust specially around the welded area. But I guest it is possible that it could be done whiteout any discolouration. 
  • Options
    Thanks Michael T. I am going to insist that the radar arch be removed so a good inspection can occur. Appreciate the heads up. Sounds like the jury is still out on the bow rails but I plan on having my repair guy submit an estimate to replace the bow rails versus fix them and see what they say.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    They're just trying to cut corners without and save $$$. I would be demanding new rails and radar arch. Maybe pull the boat and have it a hull survey done before going any further for structure concerns 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Also check for gelcoat cracks at the base of the rail stanchions.  If you end up with water leaks there, the bolts are really hard to reach.  Fixing them is expensive (or difficult as a DIY).  

If the impact hit the arch at mid-beam, it would tend to push the sides outward at the base where they attach to the hull.  That could cause hidden damage that would probably total the boat.  

Even if you don't find that sort of damage, good luck selling it someday.  Might be grounds for a dimished-value claim.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    absolutely LaRea, and the same process should be there for a vehicle as well. Try trading in a vehicle that has a bad car fax- can easily knock 2 grand off a 20 grand trade. A boat is probably worse. Loss of value should be part of the equation but I don't know that you have that ability with boat insurance, but a good question to be asking.