Custom Cockpit Screens

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I might start a new thread on this topic as it affects all of us :-)  Both our EC 310 and EC 360 arrived from the Rinker factory with excellent zip-out screens, with ties, on the rear canvas. The openings were very large and took up most of the aft "window" - which was great.

However, imo, because there was not another source of open air in the cockpit we were not able to create a cross breeze without removing the strataglass and thus letting bugs in - particularly with the colored cockpit lights on at night.

The canvas tech at my marina (Len's Cove Marina), Brenda, said she could get oem zippers and manufacture screens for the front walk through and both side windows. Please note pictures below.

IMO she did an amazing job, even including tabs to hold the front screen to use while docking thus allowing quick passage through the front window.

We have found that, for a very reasonable cost, the use of our cockpit has been greatly extended on hot summer days and particularly at night when the little critters are afoot.

I highly recommend this addition.

Comments

• gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I have thought for the last couple of years about doing just this.  Now that I see your's, I am thinking about doing it now.  I replaced our canvas last year with a new set from TJ.  I still have the old, so maybe I will bring it to my canvas guy and get a price for making screens.  I had thought about doing the entire enclosure, and even maybe having flaps made for the outside that roll up/down.  Because I would not plan on moving the boat with them on, I would only require a few snaps installed to keep the ease of installation quick.  But, I do like your idea just to get ventilation.  Nice!!
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    This is high on my to do list, lots of bugs where I am during late summer.  Do they completely replace the strataglass while using?  The front tabs let it hang when unzipped?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @06R270, I remove the clear coverings and just zip the screen inserts in. I have Rinker and Sea Ray buddies whose clear panels snap out (instead of zipping out) and their screens were fabricated to snap right into that space. 
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember, the bugs will find there way in from the bottom of the canvas where it snaps into the back bench and access way. The screens do not 100% prevent bugs from getting in.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Thanks MT.  Your right Mark they dont, but Im sure it helps significantly. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    For sure better than nothing. But those gnats ... holy smokes, they are a pain.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I got biting flies by me, talk about raising tempers quick.  Wish there was a way to have them totally zipped all the way around without having to attach zippers to fiberglass. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, Ontario and knats? Biting flies in DC? I thought we had bugs in Fl, I don't think ours are that bad!
    I have zippered screens on the 360 but on other boats I had snap on screens that did let determined bugs get by -  until I bought a roll of cheap window draft gasket.  That whitefish stuff with a sticky back. I applied it on the canvas skirt between the snaps and reduced the bugs by 90%
    On my boat the zippers are top and sides, bottom is attached by canvas fasteners.  @Michael T care to show a picture of this draft gasket? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    @06Rinker270, I'm on an island in the Caribbean for the next three weeks when I get home I'll post a picture,  if that's okay. 
    totally have fun!
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT, you said that 2 weeks ago!
    Correct Steve. Have you looked at a weather report for the glorious northern states? I'm staying put until it improves! Actually you should be able to sympathesize as I've seen some reports of Floridian weather lately  :-(
    I'm going skiing this weekend. Screw winter, I'm having fun! 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Hahaha. While I wait for spring to break, I was riding this weekend. -5 in Northern Michigan. Wasn't all that enjoyable lol
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
    @Steve, not bad at all......and way better than up North right now! 
  • BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    MT - Great point and when I bought my FV310 it came with the from screen but really didn't think of the value having this was.  Thanks for making me aware of this.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
    Back home from the Caribbean MT?  Love to see those pics.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy, your killing us with the weather report,living below the frost line must be nice, Ya cold at 47, come on man! Did you get your boat fixed?
    Boat Name : 

Yes all fixed just need to paint the outdrives
    edited March 2016

@06Rinker270 sorry for the delay. So the gasket material is available in foam of different densities and thicknesses and comes in black and white. I installed this on friends' cruisers. We usually put it in the gaps between the snaps so that it eliminates the gaps between the windshield frame and the canvas. It takes about 15 minutes to do the cockpit area. It is peel and stick and If when you want to remove it any residue that is left comes off fast with any sticker remover. We can buy it at any hardware store, like Home Depot. I took a picture of the package and a picture of the white foam  on a door frame. It is usually used as a draft stopper but it stops bugs real well! PS as the package shows this foam was 1/4" thick and 3/8" wide. HMMMMM, never thought of it 'till now but it should stick to the canvas too, that way it wouldn't be on the windshield frame but I don't ever remember noticing it there an any of the guy's boats.