Options

Under water lights

I ordered 2 of the trim tab mount 4000 lumen each lights from Diablo Royale today, I will follow up in spring on quality and function.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    edited February 2016

Would love to see how well they'll work in the bay!

So where did you decide to keep the boat?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭

@Dream_Inn   I live a block away from Rhode River Marina so I have always kept my boats there. This year we upgraded to a lift slip at the marina and they are supposed to finish the club house and pool too. I love the Rhode River when I just want to head out for short trip.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice river
  • Options
    Very nice river

We have always thought it was very nice but we haven't made many trips out to see everything the Bay offers. We plan to change that this year with the new to us boat.

• Options
    Eastern shore is great if you like crabs and oysters
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    @ChesapeakeChiller I seen those lights on facebook but I couldn't find actual pictures of the trim tab lights in action. I even emailed them asking for pictures for those lights specifically and they were kinda a-holes with their response. Pretty much said if it's not on there facebook then they don't have any. The only thing on there FB page were terrible pictures and a video to try to impress people that are not familiar with underwater lights. Curious as to see how they perform for you though! 
    Could you take a couple pictures when you get them to show build quality/size?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    @jme097 I will take some pictures when they come in next week. When I called them it was a bit awkward at first but once we started talking I found them helpful. I don't put much emphasis on in the water pics as the clarity of the water and the way the pic is taken has large influence. I went for them based off the lumen output vs price (quality appears good) and they say lifetime warranty.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

CC, you have yourself in a great marina.  Brian and Michael are just the absolute best!  They are the only two people, besides me, that I allow to work on my boat.  Unfortunately mine's been on the hard there a few times over the last couple years, so you may have seen it. 

Lift slip will be nice.  & yes, whenever they finally get that pool in, that will be really nice as well.  I've seen the plans & it looks great!

Definitely explore the bay!  Plenty to offer.  We've been as far north as the canal and as far south as VA beach.  So much to see in between!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

Diablo Royale Custom trim tab lights

Alright the trim tab lights came in today, shipping was free and they used 2 day priority mail.   http://boatpluglight.com/products/trim-tab-light-halo-prd    

I am not a marine expert but feel free to ask me if you have questions about these lights. I could not talk myself into any of the more expensive brands so I choose to take a shot with these. They mount on the trim tabs, wire goes thru hull above water line, water proof driver mounts inside the boat, material is marine grade 6061 aluminum with hard anodized black finish, lifetime warranty, 4000 lumens each plus now has new reflection system that they "say" will have increased luminous equivalency of 35% above the rated 4000 lumens.

Well all of the information above you could have gotten from their website so I will attempt to add some value here.

Size- 3-7/8" tall and 2-1/2" wide

Electrical- The wire lead is 6ft long and they came with the angled wire fitting (pitot tube shield) for thru hull (above water line). I was told to accommodate for 3 amps each light and that would be more than safe. I plan to wire this into my interior cockpit lights that I already changed to blue LED if it can handle the 6 amp addition. If not they have an inexpensive remote that can be used as a switch and just wire to the battery's. The remote allows for diming and strobe functions that I didn't feel necessary.

Quality- Okay I don't know exactly what I am looking for here so let me know if you have suggestions. The case appears to be one piece no screws or seal to come loose/leak.

@JME097 the instructions stated to email them a picture of light underwater as they would like to use it on Facebook and website. Maybe they took your phone call to heart. I will post some pictures in April.

• Options
    @ChesapeakeChiller good write up! Those are exactly the ones I was looking at because I wouldn't of had to drill through the hull. They look good. Curious as to how they will look in the water!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, it will be great to see the install! 
  • Options
    @ChesapeakeChiller do the install instructions say where on the trim tabs to mount? I am curious as to what they mean when they talk about the reflection 
  • Options
    @jme097 No they don't state where only choose best location for your application. The reflection I believe is in the new lens and face plate. If you look at the pictures on website the one shown on tab has a black face, they have since gone to a white face and new lens (Halo PRD diffuse reflection)

• Options
    Dont they have to mount on top of the tab? If they went on the bottom wouldnt that affect the tab performance?
  • Options
    yes you would always mount them on the top of the trim tab, you can choose anywhere on the top that best fits you application would be my understanding.

• Options
    They wouldn't last very long if they were mounted on the under side of the tab. lol I am curious as to how they perform for you once installed and in the water
  • Options
    Any update?! @ChesapeakeChiller

• Options

@jme097 it just snowed here last night. Looks like the weather is going to break for good next week so I may layout the holes this weekend. I will not mount them until I can paint trim tabs (probably during the week next week). I hope to be in the water by April 1st but still have a lot to do including risers/manifolds on starboard engine.

• Options

Lights mounted but still not in the water yet. I chose not to use the mounting holes in the bottom of the lights and made holes thru the front instead (after consulting the manufacturer). I had to then shim them a bit as my trim tabs point slightly outward but I wanted the light straight.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great, I for one, would like to see some night pictures of then on!
  • Options
    Looks good @ChesapeakeChiller! Can't wait to see how they look in the water