Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of anodes should I being using.

BayrunnerBayrunner Seneca Creek, MarylandPosts: 144Member ✭✭
I cruise in the Chesapeake Bay and want to know if using the regular zinc anodes would be just fine for that type of salt base water.
Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Posts: 6,463Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    @Bayrunner   Salt=Zinc   Brackish=Aluminum   Fresh=Magnesium
  • BayrunnerBayrunner Seneca Creek, MarylandPosts: 144Member ✭✭
    Thanks Michael T,  One of my boating friend said to use Magnesium and I was telling him zinc should be used.  
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 3,624Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be safe, I would use the aluminum ones. My boat came from Middle River, MD and that is what was on it. I had to change to magnesium when I put her in fresh water.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 2,929Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the Chesapeake is brackish.  Check out this salinity map:

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/maps/map/chesapeake_bay_mean_surface_salinity_spring_1985_2006

The parts in red (upper Potomac, northern tip of the Bay) are fresh, so most boaters there use magnesium.  The blue parts, right near the ocean, are salt.  The rest of the Bay is brackish to varying degrees, so most boaters use aluminum.  

If you use magnesium anodes in brackish water, they won't last the entire season.  With zinc in brackish water, they won't provide enough protection, so you increase the risk of corrosion problems.
    Thanks everyone great advice and the map really helped.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 4,741Member, Moderator mod
    Bay, welcome to the forum!  I've used Aluminum in the bay for the last 16 years without any issues.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Thanks Dream_Inn. This will be my first year owning a cruiser yacht Fiesta Vee 310.  I owned a Cobalt bowrider 21 foot since 2001.  Big different and can't wait until I experience traveling in this yacht.