Options

Question on Bravo 2 outdrives

majomamajoma Member Posts: 19
On my new to me Rinker 312 I have two Bravo 2 out drives and I keep my boat in salt water. Any recommendation on how to best maintain them and avoid corrosion? I understand that they are better than the Bravo 3 but still I heard that they could get bad fast.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just use the proper zincs and keep them painted with the proper paint
  • Options
    How often do you service them?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    @majoma, how long do you leave it in the water at a time?  Is it on a lift? First,  the correct anodes and replacing them when 50% or more depleted is essential -  for you that would be zinc in Salt water.  I make sure my galvanic isolator and shore power cords are in good condition to prevent corrosive galvanic action.  I quickly sand prime and paint any chips and corrosion that I find. Routine service is to monitor the drive lube reservoirs, remove the drives at least once a year to check their alignment to the engines with the OEM Mercruiser alignment tool, replace all drive lube,  check the bellows, cables and connections remove the props to clean and grease the shaft splines BTW,  I wax my drives at haul outs with Maguire's Flagship wax. 
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Michael T, thanks for the advise. I keep the boat in water all year around.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I keep mine on a lift now I may have to refer to hours instead of yearly service of pulling them off, etc. I hope Dream will answer this. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod

Handy, I'd go with every other year as far as pulling them off.

Majoma, as far as maintaining the outdrives, as already stated.  Just keep up them before major work is needed.  Keep them painted and clean with good zincs will go a long ways.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express