Options

HERCULES TIRES

It has been quite a while since I bought trailer tires. The question I have is, are the Cooper made Hercules tires worth while? I have read so many bad things about the Goodyear Marathon and the Carlisle tires and have decided I don't want them. Most of the others I have heard little or nothing about. This is why I'm looking at the Hercules brand. How about some input from the group on tires. I'm going to use 225 75 15 radial and 10 ply
​Thanks for any and all response.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always had good luck with any Cooper tire. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think the brand matters too much in the end. The internet is wonderful for spreading bad press. Considering how many trailer tires are on the road.......

Too many variables to measure. Comes down to owner care & equipment upkeep. If you're good at taking care of your stuff - any of the major brands will treat you well.

my 2 cents
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    JameyleeJameylee Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Check out Maxxis tires.  I also had bad luck with Goodyear and Carlisle.  The key with trailer tires is running the correct amount of air, upkeep and age.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I ran Towmaster tires for years with no problems. Just be sure you have a spare.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    crunch1crunch1 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I am always amazed at those who put something on, and never check it till it has a problem. Most people never check the spare tire for PSI before they head out on a long trip. Over the years I've learned to take care of my equipment, because everyone wants to sell you a new one. Also as  Mattie said the internet is full of angry stories. I will find what I'm looking for, plenty of time before boat comes out of storage.
  • Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I've personally replaced GY Marathon's that were separating at the tread.  I have been using Maxxis 8008's and have been very happy with them.  I've got a pair on my utility trailer that are just about worn out.  They've probably been on for 7-8 yrs. They ride/pull smooth, no separation, and no dry rot/cracking.  They replaced Carlisles that held up well, but very soft side walls.  My enclosed toy hauler had the GY's.  75% tread and 3 of 4 were splitting apart.  Replaced and those (4) M8008's are about 5 yrs old now.  Pulled it a couple months ago- still smooth and no dry rot.  
    The boat trailer got M8008's last summer.  You could watch the old tires sidewall flexing going down the road making the boat bounce up and down.  The Maxxis don't do it.  Not to mention that Goodyears it had were... separating at the tread.
    I will acknowledge that I paid the extra $10 for E-rated tires, so less sidewall flex was expected.  I'll take the extra couple plies in a trailer tire all day long.
    I haven't experienced Hercules, and I'll agree that overall, Cooper makes pretty good tires.
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    +1 with using the Maxxis tires. I replaced my triple axle trailer tires (8 tires in all, 6 plus 2 spares) 3 years ago from the Carlisle brand (which were 12 years old and had less than 3000 miles on them) to the Maxxis brand (M8008 ST235/80 R16 Radial 10 Ply). These tires are rated to carry 3420 # each which exceeds the trailer rating (18K #) but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any issues with the weight of the 320 I tow.
    In addition to the mileage, it's very important to keep an eye on the age of the tires. The trailer I bought was stored indoors which makes a ton of difference for the UV breakdown of the rubber and can extend the useful life of the tire but I was "living on borrowed time" so to speak with using the 12 year old tires. Very happy with the Maxxis brand. I purchased my tires via internet thru a company called SimpleTire - cheapest cost I could find.