Options

Clarion stereo system relay

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
My Clarion stereo has a black 3/4" square relay that activates when I hit the power button and makes a distinct "click." It is flaky, only working intermittently. Anyone know if this is from the factory or something my installer put in place so I can find the replacement? I haven't inspected it real closely, it hard to get to. Thanks in advance.
Andy

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Possibly energizing power to a remote amplifier?
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    That might be what it does. The boat has six speakers that take some juice. The stereo head will not light up and won't come on, however if I press the CD eject button I hear a motor whirring sound that suggest there is power flowing. Weird.
    Thanks,
    Andy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try using a jumper wire to circumvent it and eliminate  that issue? 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my wiring diagram it is a factory thing. Without looking at the diagram, I believe it is to turn on the amp.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    The amp is turned on from the blue remote wire from the headunit. When the head unit is powered, the amp then powers up
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Today I decided to buy a new relay, see photo. It is made in China by American (!) Zettler Corp., based about 5 miles from my house. Problem #1 after a Google search is that this part is discontinued. So I called Zettler and they don't sell direct so they sent me to some distributors.

None had any in stock, but they suggested "try Ebay." So I get online again and I surf around without much luck. There is a used one on Ebay that is from an '06 Polaris Sportsman ATV. It looks like crap for $12, like it's literally been underwater, but they listed the Polaris part #. The new part is listed on Polaris parts sites at $48!

Ok, so I know this thing is coming out of China dirt cheap. After an hour of searching I found the exact part at Allied Electronica www.alliedelec.com for, wait for it, $1.18! Six bucks for shipping still made it a good deal. Moral of the story, research, research, research, and shop around!
    Andy