Options

Subwoofer in a 320

SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
I have the original from 2005 Sony head unit and speakers. I bought all new JL speakers at the NY Boat Show and going to install a new Fusion head unit in the Spring. Just wondering if anyone installed a subwoofer in the 312 or 320. I am looking to upgrade the stereo and would like a little input as to location and make of the subwoofer some other RBOs have used. Also any upgrades to the Amp which was installed in the port bow.  Thank you as always.

Comments

• Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Check the other threads regarding stereo upgrades. I didn't want to cut holes, so I went with an amplified Bazooka Tube.
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I installed an Infinity Bass Link sub woofer under the cockpit refreshment center and the control is mounted at the helm below the throttle controls next to the VHF radio plug-in port. In the picture, it's just to the left of the Heater fan control switch.
    Yeah - it's a little muffled but it gives me the thump when I want it and I REALLY hate cutting holes in perfectly good fiberglass.... so that's where it went. I installed a LED light under the refreshment center that I can easily reach when I pull the trash can receptacle and I can easily reach the fuses for the Bass Link if anything should go south. These pictures also show the Heater Craft cockpit heater I installed in 2009 - it gets a little cool on Lake Michigan sometimes!

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Pretty neat Frodo!  So, I see hoses to the heater.  Are they connected to your engine?  So you generally use it just while cruising?  I see it's by heater craft, which model did you get?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need heat up there Dream? Is your boat ok from the weather yesterday?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    I don't necessarily need the heat, I do have a vent into my cockpit from one of the units below, but it looked interesting.  Everything weathered fine yesterday.  It was just a quick hard rain with some wind.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I love that idea except I just can't picture where its located lol!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JME - here's a better picture so you can get an idea of where I mounted the sub woofer and the cockpit heater:

DI - The Heater Craft unit I installed is a 301 HC - 3 outlet, 40,000 BTU, 263 CFM max air flow. The hoses do attach to the starboard engine water pump - but since my heater unit is about 6" uphill from the engine, I had to install a Heater Craft H415 circulation pump to get enough hot water flowing through the heat exchanger. The three outlets - one is at the helm, one shoots directly to the port seating and the third shoots towards the stern seat. It actually works quite well but.....(and there is always a BUT), because of the 263 CFM air flow, it actually puts the area underneath the cockpit bar at a slight vacuum - so I just pull the trash can and leave the trash can lid open and that prevents a low air flow issue. As an added benefit, Lake Michigan rarely gets above 70-75 degrees so on those toasty warm days when at the dock and the engines are cold, I just fire up the circulation pump and turn on the blower and the circ pump moves cool lake water through the heat exchanger and the system acts as a cockpit A/C unit.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    NICE! Love your set up! I have to be careful right now but to get my sub wet with its current placement. I might try to mount it in the engine compartment but screwed t othe floor with the sub facing the floor. Wonder how it would sound. I also have the bass remote for my Alpine. I am going to run that to the helm as well. Great work man!

How does the heater work as far as piping and install? That would be a great item to have especiall in the early and late portion of the seasons here in Michigan!

On a different note @frodo13056 what is a booster pump for?
  • Options
    JBam67JBam67 Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Here's what I did in my 310.
    Jl speakers, sub, and amp throughout. With new fusion Cd/Dvd and 2 fusion remotes And new cockpit smart TV. With custom cover. Oh and a new custom memory foam mattress. Among other upgrades. Costly off season but it's gonna be a great summer!!. Love it!!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @JBam67 looks great! Did you purchase the LED rings for the speakers separately or did they come with the speakers? If separate, how was the install? Did you have to run a separate power supply to each ring or were they powered via the speaker wire?

Does your marina have a good wifi signal for your TV or do you connect it via hotspot from a phone?

Looks great man!
  • Options
    The rings were purchased separately but from the same place I bought the speakers. Separate power supply to each ring but they are wired together on an accessory switch on the dash panel. Low voltage very easy to install 
  • Options
    I have unlimited data and use my phone as a hot spot. The marina WiFi is garbage. I also run my slingbox and get all my directv channels from home streamed to my Boat tvs
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Hahaha @JBam67 thats the same problem with my marinas wifi; its horrendous. I also have Directv so I use the free streaming as well and then I plug my iPhone into the TV via a lightning to HDMI cord which is nice because you can watch the tv even when anchored away from the dock!

By the way...love your 310. That is going to be my next boat for sure. Exactly the same layout and color seats I want too. You have the mercury or Volvo?
    Post edited by jme097 on
  • Options
    JME - The booster pump is for the cockpit heater - it makes sure that the heater heat exchanger has plenty of hot engine water flowing thru it.

JBAM - your pictures look great! The blue LED's really very cool!