Options

Replaced my salon TV

DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
So, the top pic, is the original 20" TV/DVD that came with the boat.  It weighed a ton and the picture was marginal and the sound terrible.  Went to Sears and bought a 32" RCA  smart TV/DVD.  I weighs less than half than the old TV, is much larger, and sounds GREAT. 4 bolts out....4 bolts in....PERFECT FIT ....DONE .   $175.00 on sale. Couldn't pass it up !! Bring on Netflix !

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work,  l love Sears,  hope they don't fold! 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I just did the same thing in the forward berth of our 360. Got rid of that 15" cathode tank and replaced it with a Vizio 24" led 1080p tv with wifi and digital antenna. $150 at Walmart. Seeing I wall mounted it just above the old tv the wife gained a cubby to put a froo froo basket in.  She is thrilled. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Dirty, that was the first thing I had done on mine as well.  Looks nice!  Did you think about angling it down at all.  I know a buddy did the same thing on his 420 and added a bracket to change the elevation angle to see better from the couch.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    RAM Mounts makes some amazing articulating mounts, I have used a number of them over the years. Obviously,  these mounts make the viewing of the TV viewable frlm many more locations thereby expanding it's use. 
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I'm concerned that any type of mount that is not stationary, will create issues that I don't want. The first being, unwanted movement while under way.  The old tv which I removed, had a cracked rear panel, probably from the movement of the boat.  The second thing is, I have a perfectly flush mount to the cabinet right now. Any articulating type of mount will require the TV be out away from the cabinet, leaving a gap that Im afraid will not look right. If anyone has pics of their articulating mount, I'd love to see them. I agree, it would create a better viewing angle. 
    THAT BEING SAID......I do my best not to watch TV when Im on my boat.  :-)
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a swing arm mount in my rv and when folded up the TV was secured with a bungee cord
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Dirty, the one I saw on a 420 was still a permanent fixture, just angled the tv down a bit. I actually did this with mine as well by just adding some spacers in the top two bolts.  It doesn't take much to help a lot.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My new TV needed to be angled down for the picture to look good. Then again, it is an Axess TV which isn't the highest of quality.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I have multi directional mounts on the 32"" TV in the cabin and on the 22" TV in the cockpit. The mounts have knobs that can be used to tighten the mounts for underway protection. I also put a small velcro strap on each one while underway. Never had a problem and really appreciate the ability to orient the TVs where  I want to! 
  • Options
    I'd be willing to give it a shot !  Just as long as it locks in place, It would be nice to angle the screen !!
  • Options
    Some I saw had a removable pin to lock the arm closed and a couple could be locked in several positions.  Most had knobs that tightened the arms (that's what I purchased). There are too many different types to mention. Even  Home Depot has a bunch in their AV department.  I added the velcro straps on my own,  bought them at West Marine, never had a problem with the TVs moving while underway. The arms allow me to orient the TVs in any direction and up and down. For me they were the perfect solution to letting people sit anywhere in the cabin and cockpit and see the TVs. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a 12V TV as our replacement.  I don't like to depend on the genny for my entertainment.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I went to Best Buy and purchased their house brand 24" LCD TV with a built in DVD player to replace the factory TV on my 320. The new unit is designed to be powered by a 110 volt outlet but the power cord has a transformer in it that converts 110 volts AC to 12.3 volts DC. The actual operating voltage to the TV is between 12.3 and 13.5 volts DC, so, I eliminated the transformer and hard wired the cord to the 12 volt circuit that powered the old TV. It works great...better picture, better reception, and much better sound. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that's a good deal wm.  I had no idea they were doing that on any TVs other than the ones labeled as 12V.  Most of the ones I had looked at had an AC type plug, no brick.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX