Options

2003 Rinker 270 FV BB??

jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
looking to repower my 03. currently has a 350 mag mpi horizon . Love it just want to go alittle faster. I've heard the 383 mag mpi is a good replacement but is there something bigger in the 400-450 hp area. Are 496 Mag H/O availiable and drop in for a B3 outdrive? Who has done this and what is your current cruising speed and top speed?
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 383 is pretty strong, it would be a very big change from a 350 Magnum. I had a Rinker  190 that I had a 4.3 LX (original from Rinker) in it,  then a 350 Magnum,  then finally a very well built 383 ,  so I have the ability to compare the engines' performance in the same boat.  BTW I know that a 502 will fit in a Rinker 290 if that helps. 
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Thanks. I have 270 so 502 won't work. Where would 383 put me at cruising speed and top speed ?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Just received my latest electronic issue of BoatTest. com.  It highlights Mercury Manufacturing 383 stroker engine  with 350HP, 390FP of torque and a three year available Mercury warranty.  According to the article the engine is MPI with the latest 555 ECM that is Smart Craft compatible. It is said to be10% more fuel efficient than previous offerings. This would appear to be one beast of a small block that would rock a small cruiser and really bring a Rinker 342 to life! 
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

What ever happened to the Mercruiser 383 "Scorpion"?  That made 400HP at 6000RPM and had 435ft/lbs torque (don't quote me on the torque number, but I believe that was right).

I would also like to have one of the 6.0L motors in my boat.  Light weight, small block size, 380 or 430 HP variants.  I know Volvo makes them now, but I would think Merc. would jump on board as well.  I think they are GM LS based motors. 

The current merc 383 MAG Bravo 4V makes 370HP and 456ft/lbs with the scorpion headers!!!  https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/inboard-and-sterndrive/remanufacturing/plus-series-bravo-sterndrives/

That would be a sweet motor as well and bolt right in I think. -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    @Mike_G...... like talking HP!
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Hahaha, is Merc still making carbed motors?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3