Options

Lenco trim control box issue

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
When i bought my 270 last year it had a non functioning starboard side trim actuator.  The compression nut was cracked andI'm  guessing thats how the electric motor got so corroded and failed. I replaced the actuator, spliced the wire just ahead of the bulkhead in the harness and all seemed well.  For some reason theres a problem coming from the black control box.  Switch goes on and off every time i jostled the box. Loose wire? I bent and pulled every wire to get a reaction and nothing.  If i tap on the box it will come back on.  Question: there are four screws on the box, is there anything inside other than what i assume is a circuit board that can be serviced? A relay or something?  Whatever is in that box is the issue.  Thoughts...

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be a small printed circuit board in there that is probably a throw away unless you can see a crack in the board and a severed connection that you can solder 
  • Options
    Hmmm, thats what i assumed.  Sure is not easy to get out from what i can see.  Im gonna remove the screws and pry it open inside the boat if i can. I can handle a loose wire off the board for sure. I got some practice ripping apart that sony radio controller and soldering every wire back onto the board, lol.    Do not want to veer off topic but Another question, is it correct that the starboard side switch operates the port actuator? Vice versa 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same boat and had same problem with actuator. once replaced every thing was fine. If you do a search, how to repair lenco trim tabs, there is a guy on a u tube explaning trouble shooting of trim tabs. He goes step by step what to check. 
    DIY, and yes on Vice versa
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks for the input.  I saw the motor for these actuators for around fifty bucks on eBay and contemplated doing a repair.  After pulling the old one off I really couldn't figure out how to get the old corroded one out.  Finally realized do I really need the agg and picked up a new one for 120.  That repair went fine, just have to dig into that box. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that was a good price, last year was in a hurry to get it fixed and back in the water. I paid 199. from local boat shop
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I thought so too.  Got it off my friend eBay. Lol
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Here's the installation instructions. An often overlooked requirement is that the brain box MUST be mounted with the wires pointing down. Open the PDF file from the Lenco website and it specifically states "NOTE: In all cases, make sure the control box is mounted with the wires facing down towards the deck". On my 03 270 and on my 08 320, the brain box wasn't even mounted - just laying in the spiders web of wires under the dash panel :-(
    I can't figure out why the brain box needs to have proper orientation but maybe there is a leveling circuit or something along those lines. Good luck! 

http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/products/lenco-switch-kits/led-indicator-switch-kit-single
  • Options
    Wow, that makes sense.  I know it was unusual when the box was moved around it would come back on.  Mine too was just placed inside the maze of wires.  It was driving me nuts.a few times I got it to come back on and I'd push the oz and  pack of wires back in gently and it would go off again.  When I get to it again, I'll be sure to put the box in that position. Thanks. 
  • Options
    FOLLOW UP: so I dug into the dash today.  I adjusted the box over to the inside starboard side of the dash with the wires down.   Secured it with a little marine caulk and presto, it's working without having to tap the box.  
     Worked the tabs up and down a few times and that's when the port side actuator screwed all the way out dumping water out of the cylinder as it dropped, lol.  Better now than in the water I guess.