Options

Engine Bay Rinker 400

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was in the engine bay of a 2008 Rinker 400 today. It had twin 496s, the generator was to aft on the starboard side and 5 batteries were to aft on the port size. NOW I get what Dream says about engine bay space on his 400. Holy sh*t there was enough room in front of those 496s to install a hammock and a wet bar. I could live down there! BTW I was asked to look at the hook-up of the guy's house batteries as he had heard me talking about our forum discussions of properly hooking-up multiple house batteries. His weren't set-up right. They will be this spring. But I digress, back to the room in the engine bay of that 400. Holy sh*t, I would do ALL my maintenance if I had that kind of room!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Hmmm.  MT's next boat?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Umm MT can we cool it with the language. I dont want to have to censor you. Handy might see this and get out of control again............Baaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaaa 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    MT, I have sat down there with two other boating friends having a cold one.  Yes, there is a decent amount of space!  I think it is perfect for all the maintenance.  I was just down in mine last weekend, pulling my bilge pump and switch out.  (yes, I can get in between my engines to get to the bilge pump as well)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I did not have have the genny sitting in front of my motor, it would be for sure a piece of cake to do- oil changes and stuff not a problem but that raw water pump is a bugger! Would guess the side to side is not much better in the 400 with two motors but I sure would like to have more room in front of the motor, I would hang out and have a beer and just look at the stuff!
  • Options

Yeah, I have decent room in the 360's engine bay for everything except the generator and starboard engine impeller which is a real pain as it's right up against the generator - which a much smaller tech does for me LOL. Of course, there would be more room with 350 mags than the 502 mags but then I'd be slow like a Sea Ray or diesel LOL.

Yes, Ray I will curb my enthusiasm as I do not want to be in the same cell as Handy. If you have a separate cell for gassers maybe, but not in with the diesel brothers! :-)

• Options
    Ras, side to side is horrible with only a 14' beam. :)  It is definitely my hangout spot.  Sometimes (ok, lots) I do go down with a drink and just look, like my own man-cave.  I will say one of the best things is truly easier to keep clean.  There is actually enough room in front of the engines to sit down in the bilge, and then enough space under the engines to reach underneath if needed.  But more importantly I can get my scrub brush under there and keep clean.  Last fall I had just finished cleaning the bilge and had a dock neighbor stop by while I was still down there.  He grabbed a drink from the fridge (yes, it still opens clear of the engine hatch) and came down.  Of course I had to say "now don't spill any of that down here".  :)...man I can't wait to get back to boating!!

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    14' beam is rediculous! Thats half as LONG as my boat is...
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man the diesels I could put in that engine room. How about a pic Dream?
  • Options
    MT, I could easily double my horsepower and blow away your 502s
  • Options
    Steve, can you fit a turbine engine in that 342?
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh man the diesels I could put in that engine room. How about a pic Dream?

You had the opportunity to have a drink and take a look!  standing only a few feet away.

• Options
    You never offered a view or a drink. 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    14' beam? holy jesus
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options

ok, I found some pictures from the Rinkervous a few years ago.  Gives an idea of the engine room space, but still doesn't show the amount in front of engines....

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you need a drink holder down there.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    .....like I said a hammock and a wet bar! Geez that's BIG!!!!.....nice clean looking engines and bay too - as expected from DI!