Options

Need generator for 2006 Rinker 300

riverrat1riverrat1 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
We purchased a 2006 Rinker 300 last summer that is wired for a generator but has never had one installed. We don't want to put a lot of money into one since it wouldn't be used very often. Where can we find a new or used one that is reasonably-priced?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @frenchship you keep it in the transom locker with the door open?  Love the addition for the muffler so it goes away from the boat.  You wired it to the electric panel to start it? 

I see some have the 30amp connector and some don't...Or just use the adapter 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Yes I keep the transom door open, the Honda 2000 does not have an electric starter,or 30 amps receptacle , so instead of running a 30 amps cord to the side where the receptacle are on the boat every time we need the generator I wired the gen directly to the electric panel inside. So now I only need to start the gen( by the way one pull is enough on those Honda) and switch the panel inside to gen instead of shore. The wiring harness for the inside electrical panel is already in the engine room, so I ran a 30 amps (at the gen side I install a regular 3 prongs 20 amps plug ) cord from the gen to a 30 amps receptacle that I installed in the engine room.
    if you are interested I can post some pictures.
    Paul
  • Options
    Very very cool I am on this.  Yes if you could please post some pictures to help me wrap my head around the wiring that be great!  Thank you  French.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Ok I will be at the boat tomorrow and I will take some pictures.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    frenchship, can you run your aircon with this generator?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark,
    yes it run my AC, stove , and all the rest but not all at the same time.
    Paul
  • Options
    walleyewalleye Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    French, what model/size a/c do you have? I didn't think the Honda 2000 had the juice to start up an a/c? Great to hear it works. 
  • Options
    Walleye, 
    My 2000 Honda gen  is a EU 2000i The AC output current 13.3 A. With a maximum out put of 
    2.0 KVA. It does start the AC easily even get into econo mod after the initial start up.
    Paul

• Options
    Walleye.
    My AC is the standard one found on a Rinker 300 Express installed at factory. I don't remember if it is a 12,000 or 15,000 btu
  • Options
    Few pictures of my installation, not a difficult project.

This the transom locker where the gen goes.the green tape will be removed after I put some caulking under the rubber grommet. The cord goes thru the floor of the transom locker into the engine room.

Then it come out into the engine room, where it come thru I put a chafe tubing around the cord. You have to leave enough loose on the cord so when the engine hatch is open it does not pull the cord, also when you close the hatch make sure that the cord does not get pinch or touch the engine. I use a small bungee that stretch when open and retract when close 

This is where I installed the 30 amps receptacle on the foward bulkhead of the engine room The wire  at the bottom is where the wiring harness from the inside electric panel come out from factory the actual wirefrom factory is  white the black part is shrink tubing.

This is the final connection.

• Options
    This is very cool and it's obvious you did a professional job.

To greatly sum up work you did was to add a receptacle to the wire harness that was already located in the engine room.

You drilled a hole from under engine hatch to transom locker.

Did you have to connect anything behind the electric panel? 

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    No connections where necessary to the inside electrical panel.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in your exhaust setup... where does it go? what does it do? Would be interesting to build something that exhausts into the water maybe?