Options

Another Reason I Buy Rinkers

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at my CD of Rinker pictures today, getting ready for boating season :-) when I came across a couple of pictures that still make my stomach turn.

It was the early summer of 2015, the second summer we owned our EC 360.  It had, maybe 40 hours on it. We had pulled into the pump-out at our marina.  A young guy (14 years old) was on his first day at work. He grabbed our bow line and started pulling the boat towards the pump out apparatus. The Admiral was telling him to leave the line slack. He replied he'd help us in. She yelled at him to let go the mooring line, but it was too late. Despite having fenders down he managed to pull the boat right onto the metal of the pump-out.

By doing so he clipped two of the large port side windows. It dented the SS frame of two of the three windows. The Admiral and I stood there staring at the boat with our mouths open. For once I was actually speechless. The kid burst into tears and said he'd be fired. I told him it was an honest mistake but that he'd be well advised to await instructions from the Captain or his designate when "assisting" in the future.

No one died but I did have a sick feeling in my stomach. Not for the cost but knowing what would have to be done to a new boat.

I telephoned the manufacturer of the windows. They said sorry, but we don't sell to the public. I thought of all kinds of alternatives - having frames custom made, filling-in the damage and having the frames re-plated, you name it.

Finally, I telephoned Rinker and explained. I was sent to Randy Rinker. I told him what had happened and asked if there was anything Rinker could do for me. He said he'd get back to me. He did, and fast. He said, lucky for you we happen to have a couple of the windows in stock and that, although unusual, he'd sell them to me. I was ecstatic. When he offered me the two windows at his cost, which BTW was less than half of what I would gladly have paid the manufacturer, I nearly dropped the phone.

Three things came from that experience.

1. Make darn sure anyone dockside knows to leave your mooring lines alone unless asked for SPECIFIC help. From that point on wherever we docked the Admiral has made darn sure dockside help does as they are told. She's no longer quietly polite. Man, they know what to do now! LOL

2. Rinker personnel are boat people. They get it. They know what matters in boats. They know how to design, equip and build 'em tough! They do their best IMO any time they can to help customers. Yes, I have bought 5 new boats from Rinker including two big cruisers in one calendar year but what Randy did for me was IMO way above and beyond. He saved me over $1,000.00 That is just one of a number of times over the years that Rinker personnel have gone above and beyond to help me.

3. Rinkers are built really well. It's too long a tale to tell, but the work three technicians went through to remove and replace those two windows was lengthy due to how well they were installed. Take it from someone who was there - you wouldn't believe how thick the walls of that cruiser were and how well that fiberglass was layered. There were a lot of techs looking at the holes with admiration. My gel coat guy who did some touch-ups to the edges said he was beyond impressed with the lay-up.

Finally, a guy about 5 slips down from me heard me discussing this with my slip mate, last summer. He shook his head and said here's one for you. I spent $650,000.00 on that cruiser, he pointed to one (no names mentioned). It was about two weeks old when the Admiral stepped on one of the big hatches on the bow, cracking it. I went to the manufacturer. They wouldn't sell me a part either. I told the truth to my boat builder. They said too bad it's not warranty. We'll ship you the part with no shipping charges. He asked if they could discount the part and they said sorry.

So, that's just one more reason for me to respect Rinker. They can't always say yes but it is my firm belief that they do their best to help us. They get boating.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think that will happen anymore with Randy gone
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully Kim will be able to get Randy back.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    It was Kim who helped me with a problem with my first boat, a Rinker 190. His help and the crazy strong build of that little boat sold me on Rinkers. Randy is missed but he and Kim built a heck of a team at Rinker and we hear that Kim is re-assembling that team! It bodes well for us! If Kim got Randy back it would be a big BIG bonus but it's probably too late Randy probably likes retirement too much! maybe Cindy would return too, I heard she had left!
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    We had a similar good experience with the folks from Rinker.  The chain on one of the gas caps came unscrewed unbeknownst to us.  When the dock attendant went to put gas in that tank, the cap fell off and into the drink.  Rinker did a great job of getting a replacement shipped off to us delivered to the marina.  I wish I could remember who it was at Rinker that helped us.  It was service at a very high level.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    I have never dealt with anyone from Rinker but always heard great things about them. I just hope Rinker can stay like the Rinker of old...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the only person that helped me was Cindy
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    I found the magazine that brought the Rinker brand into my world.  It is "Power and Motoryacht"  December 1999 issue.  The title of the review is "The Complete Cruiser."  The subtitle is "With more standard feathrues than a Leatherman multitool, Rinker's Fiesta Vee 342 is the essence of practicality."
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    When our covered slip came down on the boats, all the radar arches of the 3 surrounding my 342 came down (none of them Rinkers). This also caused the other 3 to sustain windshield/glass damage. My 342 took a good lick but proudly stood tall.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    Oh Yeah!..... @TonyWalker and @ Hamdog.....and I took out a 4.3LX and put a 350 Magnum and then 390Hp torque monster in my little entry level Rinker 190 over 15 years ago and its still going strong. If I did that with any other brand of entry level boat it would have split the transom and twisted the stringers. Rinkers, built STRONG! BTW the recommended engine for that boat was a 3.0 liter and Rinker allowed an up-grade to the 4.3LX....which I then took to whole new levels. Rinker, last one standing LOL
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The local boat dealer had an open house this weekend, I saw two new Rinkers that were delivered on friday,  they had 2016- 236 open bow, looks as good as possible, nice new colors inside and out.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    I love my boat, but yes.. I had some issues right out of the box.  Nothing too major, but several things that weren't quite right.  Rinker ended up shipping the boat back to the factory to fix everything at no cost to me!  I also was able to go and see my boat getting fixed and got a full tour of all parts of the factory, talked to employees and saw all of the processes happening from initial hull mold preparation to sewing the cushions and making cabinets.  VERY nice.  You can search my posts on this forum for more info.

Also.. Hideaway Yacht Sales (Michigan) was right there with me through the whole ordeal and even to this day has provided some of the best service/support I have ever experienced from a boat dealer and marina (Hideaway Harbor is their marina).

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard lots of good things about Rinkers. My gel coat guy has always been impressed with their glass work and gel coat work.

My dealer has a good relationship with Rinker and gets stuff done at no stress to me. It's been a good experience. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"