Options

Vinyl skinning Hull above waterline - views ?

The Gel coat of the Hull above the waterline needs some work.

Previous owner had painted it.

So I have some choices, Repaint the hull or cover it in a blue Vinyl covering.

Any views.
2003 - 250 FV  MerCruiser 5.0 MPI

Comments

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    The avery wraps are pretty impressive and are rated 7-10 years And look gorgeous.  I'm considering the same thing now. Only deterrent in my mind is they are not as durable as paint or gel coat.  From what I have seen the cost is approx 20% of a solid paint job.  Take it off in 7 years and do it again. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrap it. It will be easier and come out way better plus last a long time and stay clean.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    partlowrpartlowr Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Most of the adhesives they use on marine wraps these are actually okay for below water line as well.
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I was gonna pull the trigger on wrapping my 270 with black 3M carbon fiber. Decided I needed to put the $ into mechanical issues first, money can run out fast, lol.  There's PLENTY of videos on you tube. You can spend a day watching them and learn a lot. If I did I was gonna do myself with materials costing around 1200.00 provided I didn't mess up of course.  Would love to see a rinker done. 3M wraps are pretty nice, I had a few samples sent. The stuff is pretty forgiving the only thought I had was whether the bumpers would wear a mark in the wrap.  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wrap is pretty tough. My friend had a boat coming into slip impact his boat hard, and it only took a very small piece off (size of my small finger nail, in probably 3 places).  I don't think this would be a problem in the short term, it should last years. If you're really concerned you can get the socks that go over the fenders.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I plan to put socks on my fenders.  I'll post pics when its wrapped later this month.  I have read the QC on 3M wraps has gone down hill dramatically over the past couple years.  Lots of imperfections.  Most of the pros in my area are now using Avery.  Most are 3m converts.