Options

Grey water elimination 2001 Fiesta Vee 242

MXZ0588MXZ0588 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
Has anyone converted their grey water equipped boat to overboard discharge? I am looking to eliminate my grey water holding system as it has been nothing but problematic (not required on the body of water that I use the boat on). I would like to re route the galley sink, bathroom sink, and shower drain (if possible, not sure if the shower drain is below the water line). Has anyone attempted this? currently all drains run into the shower sump which I have changed twice. No matter what I try I constantly have a small amount of water under the galley stairwell, not enough to activate the bilge float switch. Just an annoying amount that you need to try and soak up with rags from time to time. 

1. Can I eliminate the shower sump all together? or is the shower drain below the water line?
2. where do I access the port drains? I do not feel a fitting for a hose to slide onto behind the galley sink as far as I can reach. Do i need to pull the fridge to access it?
3. Where can you access the shower sink porthole?
4. I have all of the port drains, they are siliconed currently on the outside of the boat. Are there fittings present on the inside of the boat to slide the drain hoses on clamp on?

any help is appreciated. Just trying to get an idea on the job I have ahead of me before going ahead and tearing everything apart.

thanks
2001 Fiesta Vee 242. 350 MPI. B3.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my gray water goes over board and yes the shower drain is below the water line
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

1: No they all have that as far as I know. Only Shower drains to it on mine....all other sinks (3 on mine) go right overboard.

4:I would think if hull fittings are there, then they would still be there on inside, as that the way they are built, One piece with a nut.

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MXZ0588, it sure would be a bonus to have all of your grey water go overboard as it would surely save a lot of space. Speaking of space where does it go now - into the solids waste holding tank or is there a designated grey water tank too? If it goes into the same waste tank as solids (the head) I would have it going overboard ASAP!

• Options
    edited March 2016
    there is a designated grey water tank. Everything currently drains to the shower sump (2 sinks and shower) then to the grey holding tank. I unhooked the inlet hose for the grey tank and placed it under the motor in the bilge area otherwise I would be constantly pumping out the grey tank. once I have a gallon or so in the engine bilge it kicks on and pumps out. However I want to eliminate as much water as I can from entering the shower sump and into the engine bilge area. I am not exactly sure where to access the port holes to hook the galley sink drain hose to (drain hole on Port side) as well as the shower sink and shower drain from the sump (drain hole on starboard side). Pull the fridge on the port side for galley sink? As for the starboard side I have no idea where to start. I hope its not under the shower?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Do you have any pics? I have a 2001 242 I only have a water and waste tank. I don't see where you have room for a grey water tank?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    boat is still in storage here in upstate NY. I don't have any pics. the tank is located on the port side in the engine bay in front of the hot water tank (very tight fit). I have no desire tearing the engine bay appart trying to remove the tank as it is light. only a plastic tank. just interested in eliminating the plumbing and sending it overboard. I keep getting water running under the floor board in front of the shower sump between the hull and floor board. starting at the stair compartment. you can barley reach your hand under the floor to soak it up every few weeks. no matter what I do I am getting a small amount leaking from the crappy designed shower sump box.
  • Options
    Are you sure the water is coming from the sump? I had water it that area and it turns out that my through hull fitting for the toilet water was seeping. I resealed the fitting and it's been dry since. Do you have a trash can? If yes I'm still trying to figure out how you have that tank?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    thats a good point. It could be both. I have noticed the water build up when running an entire 30 gallon tank through it trying to chase the issue when it was on the trailer in the driveway. I will have to check the toilet seacock. Did you remove the fitting that attaches to the hull and re-bed it with silicone? It could be both. I might re bed the seacock just to make sure. As for the tank I have no idea how whoever installed it got it in that spot (removed water heater maybe) but its in there. there is also a separate pump out cap on the port side that's identical to the black water pump out on the starboard side. I wish it wasn't there, but this was a Lake George boat and that lake requires a setup like this on all vessels. 
  • Options
    Yes, removed and resealed with 3M 5200.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    thanks aero. I will re-bed it for good measure. I have to tear out the shower sump and replace it anyhow has the pump is smoked. it's hard to find someone on here with an 01' 242. The help is appreciated. Do you recall when you were in there working where your sump box and bathroom sink discharges too? I am guessing its in between the shower and the sump compartment but I can't see in there let alone reach in there to hook up the drain hose to the drain hole on the starboard side. 
  • Options
    Yes, my sump and bathroom sink both discharge on the port side. I think you can access them behind the cabinet under the sink in the bathroom.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    When I first bought my boat the sump wasn't working turns out that just the float needed to be replaced.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    I have a 2000 242 and like aero I don't have a grey water tank. I had to replace the fridge on mine last year and can confirm that the galley sink discharges from behind the fridge. You may be able to access it by removing the panel inside the cupboard to the left of the fridge. All of my grey water discharged straight overboard on port side. I've never heard of a 242 with grey water tank.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I will pull the fridge and see what's back there. Any trick to removing the fridge?  Just a few screws holding it in place? Hopefully shower sink cabinet is the access to the starboard drain. I will have to snap a few pics of the grey tank once I get it out of storage. I'm going to guess that the dealer that originally sold the boat made the conversion when it was new. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I my mechanic had to remove my stove top to be able to unscrew the fridge brackets. When I bought my boat the compressor failed, and it needed to be fixed. It wasn't difficult. He had it out in less than 1 hour.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I took a pic of my boat where you say you have your grey water tank. As you can see I have no room by the water heater?? To the left of the heater is the fresh water tank and to the right is a bulkhead. Maybe yours is in front of the fresh water tank?

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I would think that the factory setup was changed after delivery of the boat. The thru hull fittings should be on the boat. The head sink thru hull should be right below and behind the sink. Same with the galley sink. If you can figure out which ones are being used and which ones are plugged, you should be able to switch it back. Maybe someone with a 242 could take a picture of the outside of their boat and mark which thru hulls are for the head sink, shower sump and galley sink.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    thanks all. aero mine is right where you have your red tool box. The grey and fresh water tanks are strapped to one another. but I don't plan on ever using the system again. Should have the boat out in a week or so to tear everything apart. Anyone pulled there stovetop? i am guessing it is just bedded down with adhesive silicone? I hope i dont have to pull it to remove the fridge, but I have a feeling I wont be that lucky. 
  • Options
    I just finished my grey water conversion to discharge everything overboard. 

I took some pictures for reference in case someone else needs to perform something similar. 

This is the galley sink with the refrigerator removed for access. Easy with just removing 4 screws on the front of the fridge.

Below is the access for the bathroom sink and shower sump discharge:

shower sump routing:

Grey water tank that is no longer being used:

Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    @MXZ0588 very clean and professional work. Congratulations! P.S. what are your plans for the grey water tank, cut it up and turn the area into storage? use it for a raw water flush? clean it with bleach and fill it with fresh water for your toilet flush and keep the original fresh water tank for drinking etc?
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    I haven't really thought about it. I was just going to leave it as you would have to remove the hot water heater to get it out. But, Cutting the top off and using for storage isn't a bad idea or possibly hitting it with bleach for additional fresh water may be nice. I dont trust either tank for drinking.  Another helpful lesson I learned with regards to the refrigerator for anyone who thinks there fridge has quit, on the Norcold fridge (at least mine anyway, DC Only) there is a 10 amp fuse on the back side hidden behind an aluminum panel underneath the circuit board that you access by removing a few small screws. The mechanic that winterized my boat left my battery switch in the on position and the fridge must have received a surge when connecting the batteries. Shame on me for not double checking the battery switch.... Lesson learned, and glad the fridge is fused.    
  • Options