Options

Haul Out Frequency for Salt Water Boats?

Hi All,

I'm just starting my first full year with my 07' Rinker 280 which we don't have a trailer for (and I don't want to haul around town) so we're keeping her in the water year round up in Olympia, WA.  I'm wonder what others who keep their boats in year round in salt water do for bottom maintenance and if they haul out annually or just have divers clean the bottom every few months.  Needless to say the cost and time for haul out wouldn't be bad to avoid if it's not something that needs to be done annually.  Last June we had her hauled out with new bottom paint and a full scrub down, I also had a diver do some cleaning with zincs this fall on her.

Looking at other forums I've seen everything from guys who only do a haul out every three years to others that have it hauled out ever few months.  Any sage wisdom from some more experienced year round guys/gals would be appreciated!

Derek

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm pretty sure 3 years is WAY too long. You should check anodes and condition of drive much more regularly than that.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    My boat gets hauled out for "mid-season" maintenance after 3 months.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    djstewydjstewy Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    So four times a year raybo3?  

MarkB - I agree, 3 years is waaaaay too long.  I'm not against yearly, but wondering if the anode and bottom scrubbing by a diver every three months or so would suffice to stretch out the haul out to every other year.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    No I only keep the boat in the water for about 6 months then winter lay up. I will tell you that after the first 3 months it definitely needs new zinc's and a good bottom power wash. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    DJ,  
    I am in Gig Harbor.  Life time puget sound boater.  If you have your bottom and drives scrubbed annually and the diver does your zinc's based on 50% remaining material which can be 6 months to a year depending on the marina you'll be fine keeping her in the water up to two years.  Your big watch out is your drive bellows and barnicals.  As you trim, they cut!  This is where the annual hual out is worth checking the bellows for cracks and barnicals.   Don't worry about saltwater.  In the sound the salt is not nearly as salty as the Pacific and the Pacific is far less salty and alkaline as the Atlantic.  The tuffest area on boats is Florida with high salt, high PH and warmwater. Most boaters there have lifts at their homes or marinas.

LG
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I use a diving service and get the bottom cleaned monthly. Growth has been substantial with warm El Nino water. Zincs are swapped if necessary. There's little other need for a haul out unless the outdrive needs attention or hull repainting is due.
    Andy
  • Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    djstewy; We are in Anacortes and haul out once a year, scrub the bottom, buff the hull and replace zincs. We had a diver clean the bottom this summer due to the warmer water temp.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, interesting! I am in Fl and always trailer all the boats we have had for many reasons. Money would also be a deal breaker. I have noticed on week long vacations on the west coast, different areas have different growths and rate of growth so I can imagine how it differs across the country and the world for that matter. Areas that have uncontrolled pollution must have all kinds of fun with water damage.
  • Options
    djstewydjstewy Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards having her hauled out next month, scrub it, do the zincs, and inspect the outdrive.  Then have a diver clean her once or twice a year between the annual haul out.  Couple extra hundred bucks extra to have her hauled out, but it's a lot cheaper than a new outdrive if a diver couldn't detect an issue.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Blood, sweat, tears, sea water. All salty. Coincidence?
    Andy