Options

I have a Fiesta VEE 250, what size power generator should I buy?

epenelaepenela Member Posts: 7

What are the most recommended brands?

any other advise?

Thank you!

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    I have an small microwave, batteries charger.. all standard lights, radio and the stove
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Handy- Think you meant a Honda eu2000(small, quiet suitcase style)... 
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Just an FYI - if you plan on using the generator while on the hook, it should always be placed downwind of the cockpit - mainly on the swim platform and you should have a minimum of 2 CO detector / monitors. One CO monitor in the cabin and one in the cockpit - even if the cockpit is open. CO is extremely dangerous and is nothing to ignore. 
    I had an 03 270 that I used the Honda eu2000 on and it worked quite well. You will need an adapter to be able to plug the boat into the generator if that is what you plan on doing. Something like this will work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221931632371?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
    Also, be aware that when you plug your boat electrical system into the generator, your electrical panel will show a reverse polarity indication (red light on the panel). Not sure why that is but everything will still work.
  • Options
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one is just as quiet and it has wheels. Cheaper than the Honda.

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/545

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yahama makes a special one too that has a surge function to allow high load start ups like your AC and microwave units. Also very quiet
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of Ryobi anything. 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I've had a Honda EU2000 for almost 9 years and I've used it camping, boating, during power outages and it performs well. It is ruggedly built and quiet. It's always run great except on one beach camping trip a gust of wind sent sand into the carb intake which required a complete strip down and cleaning. So if you are around sand, be careful.

It always starts second or third pull of the rope. If storing it long term, to avoid gumming up the carb, drain the fuel tank and run it until it quits to clean out the float bowl.

As mentioned above, on your boat ONLY run a portable generator on the swim platform NOWHERE ELSE. Be very aware to the potential effects of CO poisoning. The EU2000 can run a microwave and coffee maker without a problem. I've never tried to run my boat a/c with it, but it runs the a/c unit on my camper just fine. And finally the 12v output is great for charging car and boat batteries if the need arises.

I do have a couple of cheap Chinese generators, one a 2-stroke 100 buck cheapy from Harbor Freight. It is loud and a bear to start, not recommended. I also have a newer Chinese knockoff of the Honda EU1000 made by Artisam/Earthquake. For 350 bucks it isn't bad, light and quiet, but it won't run my microwave.

Andy
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Andyd- I have the exact generator too and have had similar success with it. Here's a tip... Instead of draining fuel tank and running until it stalls, just take the side access panel off(think it's a 1/4 turn flat-head screw). Inside you'll see the carb bowl drain tube with small valve(flat-head too)on it. The tube leads down and to the outside of the generator. Just unscrew that flat-head a bit and the fuel will drain from the carburetor bowl for long-time storage. Pretty sure this info is in the owners manual too. It's much easier than draining and stalling it. 
  • Options
    Good tip, thanks. I prefer draining the tank and starting with fresh fuel on every trip, but that's because months can go by between the times I use it. Also running the motor until it quits drains the fuel lines too I imagine. If I used the generator more frequently doing what you suggest is the way to go.

Andy
  • Options
    Hondas are a bit pricey, but over the years of owning cars, motorcycles, ATVs and generators they are very tough and reliable. My Honda ATV is 12 years old, gets zero TLC and runs on old stale gasoline and starts every time. It has never let me down. Other manufacturers may have more advanced designs and more bells and whistles, but I always feel confident the Honda brand equipment will work when I need it. No, I'm not a Honda dealer.

Andy