Options

Buying A Canadian Boat

2»

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buyer. Taxed on US side. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should add, can vary depending state being registered in.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    ruggerole said:

One question when buying a Canadian boat: Who is responsible for any taxes?

A few years ago a friend sold a US boat to a Canadian. Customs said that it was the sellers responsibility, but here in the US, it is the buyers responsibility.

bry1429 said:

When you purchase a boat from Canada; you pay your state sales tax when you go to register the boat. I coughed up $12,700 to the corrupt state of Illinois.  Still stings a lil but the savings made from purchasing a boat from Canada was outstanding (THANKS M.T !)

Today the Canadian dollar is almost 35cents off of U.S. THAT IS A DEAL WAITING TO HAPPEN !!!!! 

• Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Selling a US boat to Canada is where the problems come in.
  • Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

Last August I purchased my 300 from Canada.

I just registered it in my name this Spring and paid taxes on purchase amount.

PO was not responsible for any taxes as far as I know. Additionally, be aware Canada doesn't have any "title" as we do here in the states. They are given an "Operator's License" valid for 10 years; this is all they have to document ownership. NY does recognize this for the transfer of ownership purposes.

After purchase last August I was able to obtain the Canadian "Operator's License" in my name making me legal for operation. I'm not for sure how long the US Coast Guard and others would recognize this so I went ahead and made her legal. Have to change the hull #s once commissioning this Spring.

Hope this helps you out...

• Options
    BizmarkBizmark Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    What is this  Boattech01  you mentioned, I can't find it on the web search
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TJ is Boattech01. You have to send him a private message on here. Do you know how to do that?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have his email and phone number, PM me if you need it. We bought a few pieces from him last spring and he had the best price (I shopped) and good service. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Wow, interesting to see this "thread from the past" resurrected! BTW.....The Admiral and I got a call last week from a yacht dealer in Toronto wondering if my 2014 EC 360 was still for sale. I had spoken with him in the Spring of 2016 asking what had to be done to sell a Canadian boat to an American neighbor. He said he had several clients looking for my boat. I told him it had been sold and "gone South". I asked him if he had a lot of American clients expressing interest. He said, "With the currency difference  - you better believe I do!" So @bry1429....if you have had enough fun with it and want to sell I can give him your name? :-)