Options

Shorepower connections at home

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
Has anybody added a shorepower outlet/pole to their seawall?  I'm looking at options.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, years ago, bought a power pedestal, had a trench dug to the house, put the weather rated wiring into a pvc pipe that was sealed, put in the trench, covered with sand then top soil, then sod, wired it with dedicated GFI as I had a steel dock, drilled a hole through my poured concrete foundation and wired it right into my 300 Amp home electrical service. At the same time I ran wiring to my boat lift for electric motors and remote control.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you recall which pedestal you got?  Looking at the Eaton Hatteras.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you do that? They have an adapter that converts from a normal home receptacle fitting to a shore power receptacle. I'm sure you know that. So trying to understand why put in a pedestal. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I did the electric at my old marina after a flood, I used the HyPower Power port. There were a few things that I liked about it. One was that you could remove the power part in the winter and cover it with a cap. Second was that the shore power connections were plug and play. If you had a panel that was set up with two 30 amp plugs and a boater needed a 50 amp, you could remove the 30 amp panel and replace it with a 50 amp panel. Third was that it was bolted down from the inside to prevent theft. It was a very nice flexible power ped. The company was also very easy to deal with at the time (2005).

http://powerpedestal.com/product/powerport/

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Marinco P15-30 Eel Pigtail Adapter 125V 30A F 15A M I'm using this cable adapter to run from house power to my boat.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I know if I had a house on the water, I'd definitely have it set up with plenty of power with a pedestal that had two sets of twin 30A.  Heck, my current house has 2 power panels of 200A each.  Never can have enough!  (yes, I'm an EE)  I'd also have a couple outlets on the base of the pedestal and some lights down the pier and power for a lift!  (like MT mentioned)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I dont like about a lift is you cant keep the AC on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Very true Handy.  But, you just drop it in and turn it on a little before you plan on using.  For you, it's easy to do with the boat right there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

Yes you could. With the by-pass I made and posted the pictures of  we ran the AC through a remote hose for about 10 minutes using dock water. The AC did not demand more than the 3/4" hose could supply -of course as the lines for the AC are the same size diameter and you can match the flow.

Obviously using house water would be kind of expensive, but it would be child's play to have a very small waterfront pump, in a nice wood housing, with a small pressure tank to supply a 3/4 hose with river water to the fitting that I designed to pressurize/winterize your HVAC - and BTW it would work with the generator too.

No patent yet Steve so build away! Just keep a spare room ready for my visit in lieu of roylaties for my amazing invention! LOL

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think you will ever make it here MT. BD was right around the corner and never said boo